News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Is anyone a fan of Gary in the game?  (Read 15067 times)

Offline GaryNo1Nemesis

• View Profile
Re: Is anyone a fan of Gary in the game?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 07:10:21 AM »
I am! I'm the no 1 fan of gary haha!

Offline Freak of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
Hahahah xD^^! I just like how he's a smartass to everyone, that's my kinda guy right there! ;) an algie? please! He's the biggest pee bag I've ever seen in my life he annoys me so bad when i play the game -_- I'd love to get rid of him!!   :euro:

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »
He's the most poorly written character in the entire game.

Offline Freak of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
Who Algie? Cause if your talking about Gary you have no taste in that game what so ever xD   :cc_detective:

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »

Really, more than Petey?   :confused:

Offline Freak of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »
That's what I like about Gary he's a complete asswhole with no feelings at all xD I like how he use's people to get what he wants, I mean I'm not saying he's the best in the world or whatever and yea that may be mean at some point but I like it! Btw I rhink Petey should play a bigger role in "Bully 2" If it ever comes out because he helped Jimmy out a'lot in many parts of the game.  :cheernutz:

Offline Peachrocks

• A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
This picture sums up my thoughts about him:

This...

Also this... and I'm sure they are talking about Gary. I'm just going to cover the one biggest flaw. I could go on and on about why Gary is such a flawed character like Hayley would tell you and I also know how you could write the order of events differently to make Gary more actually deceptive.

- Practically everything he does revolves around the other characters letting him do it. It's not at all manupilation.

Most obvious example of this is Jimmy himself. It goes from 'Gary's a bigger problem he'll have to wait' to 'Gary doesn't matter anymore I'm king of the school'. Jimmy never has a valid reason not to beat Gary up the second he backstabs him other than 'the plot doesn't want him to', aka the idiot ball. This generally does not make for a compelling story. Main reason I like Bully is for all the side characters, most of the main characters I do not like all that much.

This idiot ball thing is made worse by the fact that other characters KNOW he's a sociopath and/or dislike him yet still take everything he says at face value.

Offline Freak of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
Okay I agree with most of that but not all.  The side character' are okay because I'll admit I also like little preppy Gord in the game but I have my reasons to like him and Gary because there both asswholes and have no respect what so ever. I mean this may sound rude but i'M LIKE GARY I dont give a fuck about people unless they piss me off. Yeah Gary just went crazy on everyone because of his med's but I also blame his parents. Have any of you all read about Gary's Parents? There thre ones who made them crazy in the first place!   :blank:

Offline Scum

• I'm Scum.
  • Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
I used to love him.

Why used?

And I don't think he's the most poorly written one. Sure, he has flaws like all the other characters(Jimmy 'Taking orders from everyone during the entire game makes a great leader' Hopkins), but he isn't that bad. Maybe it's because I don't look much into stuff like that, or the fact that I judge characters by how entertaining they are. That's what matters to me.

But the holes in Gary's character aren't the only ones. For example, can someone explain how a townie teenager can sneak in a boarding school and set a gym on fire without anyone noticing? And him getting away with it? And the events during the Complete Mayhem mission. I'm sure that IRL if something like that happened that school would've been closed in a few hours.

But like I said, I don't find stuff like that a big problem. It's a game, something that should entertain us.

Offline Al Arlington

• 101A
  • Money Handler
    • View Profile
    • My Official Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »
Who Algie? Cause if your talking about Gary you have no taste in that game what so ever xD   :cc_detective:
Algie is that fat ginger nerd with them stupid Harry Potter glasses with his zip down. Often says stuff like "Word up coolio!!" or "Hi. I mean yo."

OT: I liked Gary but I felt his position as antoganist was too small. Hell, he wasn't even mentioned in Chapter 4 once!
In Chapters 2 & 3 I'd liked it if he kinda set Jimmy up to fight the gangs. (I know The Eggs but you know my point.)
I felt that Derby was more of an antoganist than Gary.

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
Gary was great before he went nuts, and he was funny. But when he stopped taking his meds he just became a plain asshole

I agree with this.  Gary was a good character in Chapter 1 but as the main villain of the entire game he seems a bit lacking.

Algie is that fat ginger nerd with them stupid Harry Potter glasses with his zip down. Often says stuff like "Word up coolio!!"

Everytime he says that I give him an uppercut.   :laugh:

Offline Hayley

• _( :⁍ 」 )_
  • Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
I also like little preppy Gord in the game but I have my reasons to like him and Gary because there both asswholes and have no respect what so ever.
Heh. Gord is among one of my favorite characters in the game, while Gary is among my least favs...

I mean this may sound rude but i'M LIKE GARY I dont give a fuck about people unless they piss me off.
I can see where you're coming from, about liking characters similar to yourself, but... in the case of being similar to Gary, it just needs to extend beyond not caring about other people. I mean, I can honestly say that I don't care about most people or much of anything, but I can't say that I'm a living Gary Smith because of this.

Yeah Gary just went crazy on everyone because of his med's but I also blame his parents. Have any of you all read about Gary's Parents? There thre ones who made them crazy in the first place!   :blank:
I personally don't think Gary's meds have anything to do with his behavior. Early in the game, he's already had the idea in mind to take over the school even before he stopped taking his medication. I don't have much to say about his parents, but I also don't believe they're to blame for "making him crazy in the first place," unless you mean they gave birth to him... I tend to just think Rockstar fucked him up big time.

His character is just such a mess... I find it really hard to like him even in the slightest because of this.

Maybe it's because I don't look much into stuff like that, or the fact that I judge characters by how entertaining they are. That's what matters to me.
There's nothing wrong about not thinking along the same lines as somebody else. :) Obviously with myself, I just tend to pick something apart and over analyze it. I guess it can make me a tad bit critical at times, especially so when others aren't willing to acknowledge even the most obvious faults. Close minded and shallow people irk me. :mellow:

But, um... yeah...

Hello I like logic and rationality.

I felt that Derby was more of an antoganist than Gary.
Also this.

Okay I think I'm done now.

Offline Freak of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »
I'm not exactly saying Gary's parents fucked him up or anything it's just after reading a little about him his parents screwed up big time with him, His dad was a big part of it because he was also on the med's. Gary's character inspires me because he's just a total bitch and I think he relates to me... As "Hay gurl" said "Gord is among one of my favorite characters in the game, while Gary is among my least favs..." Well I like em both because like I said there dumb fucks! I don't get why you don't like Gary though? What's so special about Gord his money!? Personally I like his attitude but I'm guessing other people think different xD!  & I don't think the med's is what fucked him up or his parents It's the fact how he believed Jimmy was talking about him dirty because noone liked Gary except Petey because he caused to much trouble but he also play's a big part in the game. Yeah he's not mentioned in chapter's 2,3&4 but that's cause Jimmy was doing his work trying to FIND Gary and get him BACK. & "Rockstar fucked him up big time." I believe that was there intentions if they wouldn't have done that then this game "Bully" wouldn't be any count if they didn't have a bad guy in the story agree?  :-\

Offline Hayley

• _( :⁍ 」 )_
  • Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 10:48:44 PM »
I don't get why you don't like Gary though?
This is why I don't like Gary:
http://www.bully-board.com/index.php?topic=15062.msg190785#msg190785

And with that, I think I'm done here. Toodles.

Offline Peachrocks

• A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »

But the holes in Gary's character aren't the only ones. For example, can someone explain how a townie teenager can sneak in a boarding school and set a gym on fire without anyone noticing? And him getting away with it? And the events during the Complete Mayhem mission. I'm sure that IRL if something like that happened that school would've been closed in a few hours.

If Bullworth was real it would be closed within a matter of weeks at the start of the story. It's just an accepted reality that everyone at Bullworth has amnesia on 90% of things that happen to them. Flush Gord's head down the toilet? Give him wedges? Kiss Duncan in front of him? Doesn't matter he'll still want to kiss you an hour later. It's one of the things that's fun about the game, practically zero consequences. Admittedly something I'd want changed for Bully 2 but it'd have to be done cautiously.

I'll give you however that Gary is not the only flawed thing in the story but the difference is that Gary is really insanely popular and for the life of me I can't understand why except for this...

Maybe it's because I don't look much into stuff like that, or the fact that I judge characters by how entertaining they are. That's what matters to me.

This is why I think most people like Gary. People just don't tend to look into it to see his flaws, but to me at least they stick out like a sore thumb. *shrug*. I guess I've partly tried to search for some sort of meaning and always come up more than blank.