News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Help with Russell, please?  (Read 7791 times)

Offline trixie

• View Profile
Help with Russell, please?
« on: December 23, 2006, 05:53:16 AM »
After many, many attempts, I still can't beat Russell.   I have read the "Do's and Don'ts"  to try and beat him but alas, I fail.  I think this is because I can't seem to get out of his way when he is charging, even if I'm running at the time.  How do I "dodge" him?
:oops:

I know this is going to seem like a lame question -- but this is, honest to god, the first video game I've played since 1993 when I was played Aladdin on a Sega Genesis.   I'm not the usual gamer demographic  - i.e. I'm female and over 35.

Thanks for any tips!

Offline Bully Freak 24

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 06:01:38 AM »
HA HA HA.Sorry.First finish chemistry up to number 3 and have marbles itching powder,stinkboms and firecrackers and lay out the marbles so if he chargges he will slip

Offline McHaggis

• The Poster Freak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 08:06:48 AM »
You're over 35?! Just roll away when he's close to you and the wall, easy pancakes.

Offline Nazz

• View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/_nazz_
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 08:17:19 AM »
i didnt need the stinkbombs etc to beat him, i used the same method that Mchaggis decribed, and in my various playthroughs thats the one which was been more affective.

Offline trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »
Quote from: McHaggis;25657
You're over 35?! Just roll away when he's close to you and the wall, easy pancakes.

Yes, I'm over 35.  Sad, but true.   Heh.

So.. I missed "how to roll" class somehow  -- specifically, what buttons are you using to accomplish this action?

Thanks!  :)

Offline dan_the_man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 01:08:28 PM »
Another usefull tip is to make out with a girl so it gives you extra health before you do mission.

Offline Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 01:54:03 PM »
Hey trixie there's no roll button, you have to use the analog stick to deviate from Russell's running attacks.

Offline trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 01:58:37 PM »
Okay, so he's charging at me.. and even if I'm running he seems to always hit me.   :mad:

I will just try, try again.   Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.   Also, I will go make out with some chicks first -- thanks Dan, hadn't thought of that.

~t

Offline trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »
Adventures of a newbie....

For those of us who haven't been playing with a PS2 controller for years or for whom "Bully" is the first game they've played in 13 years, I would just like to point out that Chem 4 is hard.    I'm not complaining, mind you, it's good practice to learn to use the controller.. but... this is going to take me forever.  I'm on my 40th attempt here and not ashamed to admit it.

So the last controller I ever played with was a super old Sega Genesis and it had far, far fewer buttons.  I'm actually impressed with the complexity that is possible with this thing.

Have a free laugh on me:

I confess that I had *no* idea the controller was going to vibrate and it scared the hell out of me the first time. I actually screamed a little and threw it down!  I was almost afraid to touch it again.   I had bought the system used so I thought maybe something was wrong with it and I was going to get an electrical shock.    Now that's just f-ing funny and I can laugh at myself.    My saving grace is that I didn't have to endure the humiliation of friends or family seeing such a display.

Offline trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 03:23:15 PM »
Quote from: poison boy;25696
Hey trixie there's no roll button, you have to use the analog stick to deviate from Russell's running attacks.

Poison Boy,  I simply cannot seem to dodge him.  Do you move the stick back and forth really fast.. or just keep running in a straight line, or..?   I'm sorry I need such specific instruction, I'm a noob, I know, but I just can't seem to get it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline AjaxWarrior

• The Heavy Muscle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 05:02:58 PM »
Quote from: trixie;25704
Adventures of a newbie....

I confess that I had *no* idea the controller was going to vibrate and it scared the hell out of me the first time. I actually screamed a little and threw it down!  I was almost afraid to touch it again.   I had bought the system used so I thought maybe something was wrong with it and I was going to get an electrical shock.    Now that's just f-ing funny and I can laugh at myself.    My saving grace is that I didn't have to endure the humiliation of friends or family seeing such a display.

Sorry, but as the hardcore gamer i am i cant stop laugthing at that! You made my day!

Offline trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 08:20:07 PM »
Go ahead and laugh, because it IS freaking funny in hindsight.  Like I say, I'm glad no one else saw -- my friends would have NEVER let me live that down.  20 years from now, they'd tell that story at some party and I'd relive the shame.   :lol:  

Okay, I wanted ya'll to know that after some searching, I found a walk-through with the kind of information I needed.  This ones tells what to do AND what buttons to push in order to accomplish it -- that's the kind of advice that a newbie needs.  Other walk-throughs have just said, "dodge him" or "avoid him" while this is much more specific.  I hope it's okay to post URLS here and thanks to "Shiggy" who wrote this one.

:?: FWIW, I'm only using the walkthrough to get me past a sticky point.  I prefer to discover the game all on my own.  It takes away part of the fun if I were just to read how to do everything before trying or exploring.  How does everyone else feel about them in general? I'm sure there are many different opinions.

I was finally able to get through chem 4 after (go ahead, laugh, I'm used to it... )   Yes, that's right.  84.   But I freaking KNOW in my heart of hearts where all the buttons are now.  Whew.  

Here's the kind of info I was after...

== RUSSEL IN THE HOLE ==

From: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/bully_a.txt

18. Russel, the bully                                                [B-1117]

This mission is a continuation of the "Help Gary" mission in the basement.
You'll have to fight Russel, the bully. Russel's most damaging attack is his
charge attack. You can easily defeat him if you avoid this attack. To do so,
anytime you see him get down and start to charge, sprint in a random directon
so that he misses you. He'll slam into the wall, do some damage to himself,
and will be temporarily stunned. You can get in a good 3-punch combo when he's
stunned.

Aside from that attack, Russel is pretty easy to beat. Run up to him, get in a
quick 1-2-3 combo, and then run away before he can counter-attack. Repeat. When
you see him set to charge, do as I said above. If you get caught by him you
will ofter have the chance to reverse (hit "Triangle") or to get out of a
sticky situation (rapidly tap the "Triangle" button). Just pay attention to the
screen for these context moves. Also, don't forget to block with "L1" if you do
find yourself getting punched by him. After he's defeated, you tell him to stop
picking on the weak kids.

Offline trixie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 12:08:11 AM »
I DID IT  I beat Russell.   I went back to finish the last couple classes, then did help Gary again and I beat him the first time.  woot.

I realize that before when I was trying, I wasn't using the X key to run fast so he was getting me up against the wall each time.   Anyway, that feels good, finally on to chapter 2.    

I'm a total kid again..  :oops:

Offline Sheldon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 12:23:19 AM »
Haha! I was reading the thread and wondering how you weren't able to outrun Russel. Congrats =D

Offline McHaggis

• The Poster Freak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 07:29:35 AM »
Can't you roll in Bully? I thought you could, don't you just target Russell with  L1 and press to the side and X?