News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Modding without Hex editor.  (Read 2874 times)

Offline MightyZeus

• Hero
  • Like A Boss
    • View Profile
Modding without Hex editor.
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
Is there a way to mod bully without using the Hex Editor? And if there is, is it difficult?

Offline Hopking

• View Profile
Re: Modding without Hex editor.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »
Yes, there are various files in the config folder to tweak the game according to your preference and change pedestrian behavior using Notepad, but don't expect to be able to change fighting styles or anything really interesting with it.

Offline MightyZeus

• Hero
  • Like A Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
Thanks. I have two questions. 1) How difficult is the Hex Editor to use? 2) Are there any modding tools like fable explorer, or something like that?

Offline Hopking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
Hex Editing can be frustrating because you have to keep the file at the same file size, meaning you cannot add your own bytes, you must amend existing ones, and there aren't many powerful tools for modding Bully, but is 'Bully File Editor' by MadmaN which allows you to edit non-hex files in a Office Excel kind of way...

Offline MightyZeus

• Hero
  • Like A Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
Thanks for your help.

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
Yes...most, if not all mods can be done through lua scripting...but to do this requires programming language knowledge...and that's something very, very few modders have.

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »
I actually will be releasing some tutorials on how to edit and compile bully lua scripts for which I will release a couple source scripts and a generic script framework so people can start messing with some custom scripts.

Keep in mind two things:

1. LUA is a very easy language to learn if you apply yourself and keep trying no matter how many times you fail at it.

2. LUA modding is only as hard as you make it for yourself and if you convince yourself that you will learn it or die trying....you will succeed rather well and just might surprise yourself.

Offline 1stGarySmithFan

• I like bow ties. Bow ties are cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:15:21 AM »
Check out Outasight's tutorial, he explains how to do it eith Img Tools, I haven't used Lua yer  ut if Madman says, then it's true. (Looks like he is the best modder and Im just a beginner)