News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: My Bully Retrospective  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Gotakibono

• View Profile
My Bully Retrospective
« on: May 28, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
I recently made a  retrospective video on Bully based my on experience after playing the game again for the first time in well over ten years. I thought Bully deserved a long video to dwelve into its history and special atmosphere, and why I think it's Rockstar's most complete game.

The link is below if anyone's interested. It'd be great to get a conversation going and hear what everyone here thinks. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ajw3p35iM

Offline DarkHero

• Developer
  • Bully Modder
    • View Profile
Re: My Bully Retrospective
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »
hey, good job, i already subscribed to your channel and left my like
Bully is also one of my favorite games, I will play it 100% in all its versions and I still play now and again. i still hope bully 2 will be released in the future
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:44:09 PM by DarkHero »

Offline Gotakibono

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 09:53:54 PM »
hey, good job, i already subscribed to your channel and left my like
Bully is also one of my favorite games, I will play it 100% in all its versions and I still play now and again. i still hope bully 2 will be released in the future

It's so bizarre for me to see anyone say they're already subbed - madness. Really appreciate it, man. Anyway, I just want to get talking to people about Bully and not really my channel - replaying it really left an impression on me, hence why I stumbled across this forum.

What would your favourite version be? I've only ever played the original on PS2 and the PS4 version, but never got around to the Scholarship edition. Bully is (or should've been at least) a franchise ripe with potential... I mean a sequel could easily be set in the '70s or in the modern era if Rosckstar ever revisit the series. But I really can't see a new Bully game happening for the foreseeable future - such a damn shame.

Offline DarkHero

• Developer
  • Bully Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:04:04 PM »
I've played all versions of the game, but my favorite is the ps2 original, much taken by the sounds of the game (punch) that sound better than the scholarship

if you want to talk about bully, you are in the right place my friend  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:09:44 PM by DarkHero »

Offline Hayley

• _( :⁍ 」 )_
  • Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »
I gave this a watch last night before bed, good vid. You made a lot of points that I've felt for years, such as the condensed map feeling way more personal and alive than something like GTA or any other open world games tbh. I've always felt that large maps feel soulless, like it's nothing more than a wow factor on how large a game can actually be without actually putting any heart into it.

Having generic copy/pasted NPCs wandering around aimlessly doesn't feel "alive" to me either, and something I've always appreciated from Bully was how every single character was unique. They interact with objects, talk to each other, and react to what's going on around them with unique dialogue for specific triggers. I can't think of any other game that has done this, and this game is 13 years old now.

... I hate Gary so your commit about wanting to slap the gobshite out of him made me laugh.

Also enjoyed the comment about the weapons in this game being whimsical, school and teenage prank appropriate. Reminded me of my love of Earthbound, how baseball bats, slingshots, yo-yos, and pop guns are all usable the pre-teen cast  :sleep:

THINK that's all I've got to comment about. Good job again.

I've always preferred the PS2 version myself. The lighting in Scholarship doesn't leave that impression of Bullworth being a depressing shithole, and while I appreciate the added classes, I could do without the Annoying Ass Christmas Missions.

Offline Gotakibono

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
I gave this a watch last night before bed, good vid. You made a lot of points that I've felt for years, such as the condensed map feeling way more personal and alive than something like GTA or any other open world games tbh. I've always felt that large maps feel soulless, like it's nothing more than a wow factor on how large a game can actually be without actually putting any heart into it.

Having generic copy/pasted NPCs wandering around aimlessly doesn't feel "alive" to me either, and something I've always appreciated from Bully was how every single character was unique. They interact with objects, talk to each other, and react to what's going on around them with unique dialogue for specific triggers. I can't think of any other game that has done this, and this game is 13 years old now.

... I hate Gary so your commit about wanting to slap the gobshite out of him made me laugh.

Also enjoyed the comment about the weapons in this game being whimsical, school and teenage prank appropriate. Reminded me of my love of Earthbound, how baseball bats, slingshots, yo-yos, and pop guns are all usable the pre-teen cast  :sleep:

THINK that's all I've got to comment about. Good job again.

I've always preferred the PS2 version myself. The lighting in Scholarship doesn't leave that impression of Bullworth being a depressing shithole, and while I appreciate the added classes, I could do without the Annoying Ass Christmas Missions.

Thanks for watching! Absolutely agree, larger open world games these days tend to lack any real personality or charm and are weirdly interchangable. Bully nailed the feeling of being part of a world that continues with or without your input. The only game that comes close to creating such an intricate world is Red Dead Redemption 2, but I even feel like the sheer size of the map is detrimental in creating the same intimate atmosphere Bully has in abundance.

But seriously though... fuck Gary. :P

Offline Gotakibono

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 08:45:26 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here has made their own vidoes on Bully? would love to hear a few more perspectives on the game!