News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Having an issue with framerate dips in certain areas  (Read 2295 times)

Offline IrishPumpkin

• View Profile
Having an issue with framerate dips in certain areas
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:13:52 AM »
Apologies if this isn't the proper place for this post, as I can't find a technical help section.

I'm a windows 10 user, and like most people I had trouble with running Bully for the longest time, frequent crashes and whatnot. After silent released his patch the crashes vanished entirely. I had no problem running the game but for unrelated reasons I had to reset my system to factory settings and started from scratch. I didn't upgrade any hardware, I've made sure my drivers are up to date and I haven't experienced problems with any other games. Just a few days ago I noticed a frame-rate issue that progresses depending on where I am on the map.

Every time I pause the game or view the map, my game drops to 20-25 frames for a brief moment once I return to gameplay but returns to normal a second or two later. That doesn't bother me much but I noticed it hadn't done that the last time I installed the game with silent's patch. The biggest issue is when I'm in certain areas, I suffer the same framerate dips that persist unless I move. The right corridor of the boys dorm, near the top of the stairs in the attic of the girl's dorm, under the arch on the left side of the school between the boy's dorm and the library, during Art class, which makes completing the last few near impossible, roughly half of blue skies, and various other spots but the ones I've listed are confirmed spots where it ALWAYS occurs.

I've messed around with the limited graphical settings. I have a 4k monitor but can't run the game at a constant 60fps with a 1050ti, so I run the game at 2k resolution, with the highest settings regarding antialiasing and shadows. I've tried lowering some of these to alleviate the framerate issues but none of them have worked. I've reinstalled the game several times, I haven't experienced any crashes or other technical issues, I've also messed around with the framerate cap in silent's ini, etc. I currently have NO MODS installed whatsoever, scripts, textures or otherwise. It's a clean install plus silent's fix. But none of these attempted fixes have done anything. Any advice from someone who might have suffered similar issues?

Offline King Cobra

• Admin
  • I Live Here
  • TGSWP
    • View Profile
Re: Having an issue with framerate dips in certain areas
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
By re-installing the game it's clearly not the game causing issues. However, it can still be the fault of the OS.

This is a game that was released back in 2008 for the PC. The Windows OS of then was XP and Vista. Windows 7 was based from Vista so it was able to handle Bully as well.

There was issues for quite a few people when they ran it on W10, but the areas you're describing with these issues are either high detail or consist of shadows. Seeing that your frames drop is usually something to do with graphics rendering and trying to keep 60fps.

With W10, it's hard to determine which is the issue, but what you describe sounds a lot like a graphics issue.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:30:07 PM by King Cobra »