News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: [PC][Tutorial] Editing language files with ease!  (Read 23881 times)

Offline Shotgun

• View Profile
[PC][Tutorial] Editing language files with ease!
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:41:54 AM »
Hey there guys!
As the title suggests, this tutorial will contain information regarding the editing of language files in Bully: Scholarship Edition’s PC version.
As you may know, the game uses similar extension to GTA, to store numerous files in one, rather than having folders with thousands of different files. The same method goes for the game’s text files, which can be found in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Bully: Scholarship Edition\config\text\*.img. The * is the name of the .img file you’d like to edit, as there are eight different languages installed with the stock game.
Now, the editing of the .IMG files is a piece of cake, but when doing this, you are going to see that the language files in the archives are actually .bin files, which cannot be edited with anything yet, but a program I’ve got from one of my friends.
So what you’ll need to edit language files? Here’s a short list.

-   The IMG decompiler which decodes the .bin files.
-   A proper text editor.

After making sure you have the tools to edit the text files, here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the decompiler:

1.   Step

Select the .img and .dir of the language you’d like to edit, then drag it on top of the decompiler. After you have done that, there will be a new folder, which will have the same name as the .img you’ve chosen to edit.

2.   Step

Go to the newly created folder. The files from the archive will be there, but with a .txt extension, which can be edited in notepad, or notepad++, or any other text editing utilities. Don’t edit the numbers on the left, only the text on the right.

3.   Step

After you are done editing the files, go back to the folder where the decompiler is, then drag the folder of your language (like American) on top of the bullydecompiler.exe. If that’s done, you’ll get two files with the name of the language you’ve edited, with a .gv extension.
Rename those files so they’ll only have the .img extension.

4.   Step

We are almost done. The next thing you’d have to do is open up notepad++ and open the newly created .img file, and then use the replace function. In the “Find what” textbox, paste “yy” (without the “) and replace it with “˙˙” (again, without the “).
Click on replace all, and when it’s done, save the file.

5.   Step

Put both the .img and .dir files back to the games config/text folder, replacing the original ones, and voila, you are done!

If pictures are needed for better understanding of this tutorial, just post in here and say it. :)

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
Re: [PC][Tutorial] Editing language files with ease!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:30 AM »
Nice tutorial mate, I think some members will be thankful cause of this tut.

Keep it up!  ;)

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
Very good tutorial m8.

I will add this tutorial with screenshots of my own to the Bully Modding Bible when I get to that chapter if it is ok with you m8.

Offline Al Arlington

• 101A
  • Money Handler
    • View Profile
    • My Official Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:25:58 PM »
I reckon this should be pinned.

This'll be useful for people with wide imagination, who want to rename characters like bullymodder123, it'll come in handy for his Future mod.

Offline Shotgun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »
Very good tutorial m8.

I will add this tutorial with screenshots of my own to the Bully Modding Bible when I get to that chapter if it is ok with you m8.

Thanks mate!

I'd be happy if you'd include this in your Bully Modding Bible, as I really like it so far. :) Good luck with that.

About renaming characters: Yep, that's not hard at all. Although my main goal was to help modders translate the game to their own language. Might aswell extend this with a tutorial for editing the characters sets of the game, since not every language has the same character sets. :)

Offline bluboks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:41:48 AM »
Would you mind if I asked you if it is your friend who made the decompiler? I am currently making Korean localization patch for Bully, and I intend to do that by modifying Japanese files.

Thus I'm in need of much proper and easier way to edit language files. I thought that your post would be very helpful, but unfortunately the decompiler seems not to support UTF-8 encoding at all. Unpacking doesn't work properly but that's not a problem, for I can use other the western language files such as Spanish or German instead. It is repacking. Every time I try to rebuild .img file with texts encoded in UTF-8(Bully uses that for Unicode support), the program stands still and the memory usage suddenly soars up to 3GB. seems it falls into some kinda infinite loop.

Currently I've been using hex editor since I found the decomplier doesn't work, but it's a really painful and cumbersome way to handle all the text files(there are 256 text files inside the each of language files.)

It would be much appreciated if you ask him/her whether he could do me a favor and fix the problem, if your friend is the one who made the program. Or it would be also welcome if he or she can just show me the details for the file structure of Language files.

And please excuse my bad English. I hope it wouldn't disturb you reading this post.

Offline SWEGTA

• Da Forum Luffs Me!
  • Swee Gee Tee Ayy
    • View Profile
    • Bully & GTA videos
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
Great tutorial!

Offline leodeepak26

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 05:49:06 AM »
I did what you mentioned but a new folder is not created,instead the decompiler closes what to do?

Offline fastman92

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
I have my own CGameText class made in C++ that works with the following formats :
GTA 2
GTA III
GTA SA
GTA IV
Bully SE

My code fully allows to take control of game text, multi-byte charmap supported.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:38:39 PM by fastman92 »

Offline 57 PixeLz

• I am new modder, hope I will fit in this community
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »
I didn't get the post.
Will this make my bully in any language I want for example French . From English to French?

Offline fastman92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
You still have no translate the language, because no one will do that for you.
Follow my productions at http://fastman92.ml

Offline 57 PixeLz

• I am new modder, hope I will fit in this community
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 08:58:15 AM »
You still have no translate the language, because no one will do that for you.
Follow my productions at http://fastman92.ml
i don't get you ? pls little more explanation

Offline RBS ID

• I don't know.
    • View Profile
    • This is website title.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 11:51:02 AM »
Hey there guys!
As the title suggests, this tutorial will contain information regarding the editing of language files in Bully: Scholarship Edition’s PC version.
As you may know, the game uses similar extension to GTA, to store numerous files in one, rather than having folders with thousands of different files. The same method goes for the game’s text files, which can be found in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Bully: Scholarship Edition\config\text\*.img. The * is the name of the .img file you’d like to edit, as there are eight different languages installed with the stock game.
Now, the editing of the .IMG files is a piece of cake, but when doing this, you are going to see that the language files in the archives are actually .bin files, which cannot be edited with anything yet, but a program I’ve got from one of my friends.
So what you’ll need to edit language files? Here’s a short list.

-   The IMG decompiler which decodes the .bin files.
-   A proper text editor.

After making sure you have the tools to edit the text files, here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the decompiler:

1.   Step

Select the .img and .dir of the language you’d like to edit, then drag it on top of the decompiler. After you have done that, there will be a new folder, which will have the same name as the .img you’ve chosen to edit.

2.   Step

Go to the newly created folder. The files from the archive will be there, but with a .txt extension, which can be edited in notepad, or notepad++, or any other text editing utilities. Don’t edit the numbers on the left, only the text on the right.

3.   Step

After you are done editing the files, go back to the folder where the decompiler is, then drag the folder of your language (like American) on top of the bullydecompiler.exe. If that’s done, you’ll get two files with the name of the language you’ve edited, with a .gv extension.
Rename those files so they’ll only have the .img extension.

4.   Step

We are almost done. The next thing you’d have to do is open up notepad++ and open the newly created .img file, and then use the replace function. In the “Find what” textbox, paste “yy” (without the “) and replace it with “˙˙” (again, without the “).
Click on replace all, and when it’s done, save the file.

5.   Step

Put both the .img and .dir files back to the games config/text folder, replacing the original ones, and voila, you are done!

If pictures are needed for better understanding of this tutorial, just post in here and say it. :)

Can someone share the img decompiler link? The file in that link is unavailable.

Offline SimonBestia

• Bully-Board's Best Weeb
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel

Offline RBS ID

• I don't know.
    • View Profile
    • This is website title.