News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Poll

What do you think is the most true? Vote Below :)

He is a douche!
2 (15.4%)
He is a genius but is still an ass
2 (15.4%)
He is misunderstood
0 (0%)
Is a genius and a nice person, he only does bad things to bad people!
0 (0%)
An Evil psychopathic genius who manipulates people
4 (30.8%)
He pretends to be peoples friends then uses it to his advantage
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: POLL: Thoughts on Gary?  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
POLL: Thoughts on Gary?
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:08:33 AM »
Yayy xD

Polls are fun, we need more!

C'mon people!

Offline Peachrocks

• A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Thoughts on Gary?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:14:59 AM »
I like these polls, but I am going to wait this time and see what other people think :).

Offline Hayley

• _( :⁍ 」 )_
  • Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 01:16:49 AM »
OH GOD.

I fuckin' hate him. Let's leave it at that for the time being.

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 04:12:11 AM »
I like how mentally unstable they made him, but his character development is piss weak.

Btw, the poll options are lacking.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:37:20 AM by Red Blaster »

deadpoolXYZ

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:23:31 AM »
Most of them are gary personality. The closest one to him is the last one.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »
Naw, Gary's Nuts.  Know people like him in RL.

Offline King Cobra

• Admin
  • I Live Here
  • TGSWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
He becomes your best friend forever and stabs you in the back. He's the kind that would hang with you for a few years just so that when he fucks you over later, it hurts severely.

Offline Scum

• I'm Scum.
  • Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
My favorite character, his personality is funny, I always crack up at the Defend Bucky scene. It would have been better if his friendchip with Jimmy was longer because Jimmy seems a little bit too hurt by Gary's betrayal, since they've known eachother for less than two months. Also in the Final Showdown battle he could at least have a unique way to dodge/block attacks or something. He was just too easy.

Offline King Cobra

• Admin
  • I Live Here
  • TGSWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
Gary was more brains and based on manipulating people. He wasn't too big on the physical side. He used other people when that was needed. Kept his hands clean.

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »
It's actually hinted that Gary's somewhat fit.

Offline Hayley

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
Where the hell is everybody? I've been waiting for rabid fan girl/boys to post in here saying why they think Gary is hot shit.

Because I seriously don't understand why Gary is loved so much. :I

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 11:09:06 PM »
?  IDK.  Guy's a bastard.  Sort of 'friend' one would arrange an 'accident' for.

Offline Scum

• I'm Scum.
  • Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:26:11 AM »
Where the hell is everybody? I've been waiting for rabid fan girl/boys to post in here saying why they think Gary is hot shit.

Because I seriously don't understand why Gary is loved so much. :I

They're probably on dA or Fan Fiction :D And I think that I know why they go crazy over him:

1. His personality, the fact that he's nuts drives them crazy.
2. How he always teases Pete.
3. His scar.
4. His voice.
5. The fact that he betrays Jimmy and is the main antagonist.

But I say we hunt down a Fangirl and demand answers, I bet that there are many more reasons.

Offline Peachrocks

• A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »
Alright. This could get rather long. I said a while ago on hated characters not to get me started on Gary but since we are here...

I'll be flat with you guys. I despise Gary A LOT. Perhaps more then that though I really dislike how incomplete he is as a character and yet people still flock to him and think he is such a good character. Like Hayley I cannot figure out why people love him. I respect opinions that I disagree with provided it is reinforced, with Gary... I can't find anything concrete to reinforce or any real reason to like him.

Firstly, there's a load of plotholes in the game and most of them involve Gary. I have thought about how the story could be restructed, changing Gary's character slightly. Not making him such a poor liar mostly, Jimmy wouldn't even know he's the nemesis until Jimmy was expelled and not just because Jimmy's stupid. This would make him far more meaningful as a villian (and likeable in my eyes), but have been hesitant to post this considering how many people seem to love him as is.

As Red pointed out, his character development is very weak. They establish very early on he's a sociopath, so therefore its well known he treats people like objects and are only there to be manupilated.

Yet whenever he's on screen he's an extremely poor liar who despite this still manages to decieve everybody while he's offscreen, hell its why he spends so much of the game off screen almost because it wouldn't be in his character to actually tell a good lie. "I... I mean WE are going to take over the school"... nooo you are totally not going to double cross Jimmy. Problem much?

Nobody respects him either except for Crabblesnitch and him being headboy, fair game, at least until 'I tied him up and he STILL likes me' wait what? He's a blind corrupt idiot this is well established so I'm willing to let some of this slide but how does he 'turn the school into a battleground' when Derby says after Preppies Vandalized 'I don't care about you (Jimmy) or Gary'. Johnny's only interraction with Gary is 'Shut up Gary' during Wrong Part of Town.

Earnest yes, he would fall for it, because he's also a blind idiot with no vision but Gary and the Jocks have no interraction at all. So how does this 'grand masterpiece' come together? Through the use of idiot balls (see TV tropes) of course. A very poor plot device for a manupilator and one that makes me weep everytime I play through the game. I admit, part of me wants to work on games, as a writer, designer, whatever I could do, and seeing this... yeah...   

As for the Townies, I don't think Gary really had to try too hard and did he really hurt them? They did not have anything to lose. So they get a beating from Jimmy? So what? So did everybody else. They got a free pass to cause a lot of trouble, and got to beat up Bullworth kids during the riot. They came out pretty well considering they had nothing to gain otherwise.

Perhaps worst of all (and something I'd resolve with my restructure) is that Jimmy never has a real reason not to go after Gary. It's 'he's a bigger problem' Why? Or 'he'll have to wait?' Why? Then 'he's not a problem anymore?'. Jimmy carries the idiot ball throughout the entire plot in a poor attempt to make a poorly developed character look brilliant.

Now this sounds like I'm really bashing on the game, I love the characters... but the story itself felt a tad rushed, especially near the end.

I don't want to offend people but sheesh, I just can't get why Gary is thought of as brilliant when he really isn't. He's a poor liar and every single 'clever' thing he does, is done with him off screen with no real details of how his 'scheme' came together.

He becomes your best friend forever and stabs you in the back. He's the kind that would hang with you for a few years just so that when he fucks you over later, it hurts severely.

The problem is he's such a bad liar everytime we see him that nobody with real brains would fall for that act for long. Petey might be an exception because he's looking for a friend, but Gary wouldn't bother because the only thing Pete would be good for is taking the fall for something he didn't do (which might have been a nice story angle to make him more devious). However this doesn't happen...

I guess the thing now that I think about it is that maybe Gary was such a bad liar as to cue in everybody else to it except JImmy. However it comes off really poorly in my opinion.

On the other hand, I've heard some people might feel sorry for him because of his problems (and that he can't help backstabbing everybody) and feel he's doing what he's doing because he has little control and his meds make him feel awful. If this is so he could have shown minor regret or remorse, then I would understand this angle, but most of what I hear is that they think he's genius, when he's really not.

Sorry for the rant, but this is exactly why I left it. I wanted to try understand better before I ranted off. Blind fanboy/girlism, sort of bothers me. Especially when there are much better characters you could like, Derby for one, is a much better 'Magnificant Bastard' than Gary.

If anyone cares, I'll put the restructure up somewhere. Either here (since most of it is relating to make Gary as intended in the 'writers vision') or in its own topic. I do this sometimes, like place events differently as to make the story flow better if it felt a bit flat to people. On Her Majesty's Secret Service comes to mind the most here.

Conclusion: I voted he's a douche. He's not a genius. He could be misunderstood but there's not enough to back that up and to be honest he could try to make friends with people and then turn on them but considering everything, I can't see this working to any real extent. He's a poor liar, poorly developed and nothing he does throughout the entire plot is convincing enough to suggest he does anything other than rely on the power of idiot balls.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:20:24 PM by Peachrocks »

Offline Hayley

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
^ I love your essays and I love you.

I think that I know why they go crazy over him:

1. His personality, the fact that he's nuts drives them crazy.
2. How he always teases Pete.
3. His scar.
4. His voice.
5. The fact that he betrays Jimmy and is the main antagonist.
"His scar is so awesome and his voice is to die for!"
This is what I don't like about Gary's fans (or any fans of poorly developed characters, just fyi). They judge on appearances and are too shallow to scratch beneath the surface to discover that Gary is just not a good character.

I doubt anybody will change their thoughts on him after reading Peach's post, though. But whatever.

And yes, I admit that Gary has some good dialogue during chapter 1. But with the teasing towards Pete... I don't want to get into that.

I'm sure I have more to say but haha Peach basically said everything for me derp derp
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:15:49 PM by Hayley »