News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Refereneces to movies and other forms of popular culture in Bully.  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Corpsefiend

• View Profile
Movies

*A poster inside Dragon Wings Comics reads "Night of The Living Deer", this is an obvious spoof of George A Romero's classic Zombie film "Night of The Living Dead".

*Also inside the comic book store are toy mock ups named G.I. Jeff, nod to G.I. Joe.

*The costume that Jimmy Hopkins wears in the mission Halloween, is the same costume worn on Halloween by the main antagonist, Johnny Lawrence. Leader of the Cobra Kais, who torments the main character Daniel in The Karate Kid.

*The Nerds pass code to the gate leading to the observatory (1138) refers to George Lucas' signature Easter egg which appears in all of the films he has worked on, being a reference to his first film, THX-1138.

*The quote "I'm the daddy now" from Jimmy, may have been taken from the 1979 movie Scum.

*The clock tower is stopped at the same time as in Back to the Future.

*Students make mention of the film Prom Night when discussing their own upcoming prom in Chapter 6.

*In an errand in Bullworth Town for Tobias Mason, he can be heard saying "Dude, where's my bike?" This is a reference to the movie Dude, Where's My Car?.

*Most of the cars in the game have the registration number BDR 529, which is the registration of the Blues mobile in the film The Blues Brothers as well.

*The gates in Blue Skies Industrial Park which Russell rams during Busting In, Part I are very similar to the gates from Jurassic Park. The stronghold also resembles the stronghold in Mad Max II: The Road Warrior.

*Fatty Johnson will sometimes greet fellow Nerds and students with "Hailing frequencies open", a reference to Star Trek.

*Melvin O'Connor will sometimes say "Tis only a flesh wound" when knocked out, a reference to the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

*In the last mission Complete Mayhem, in the gym where the nerds have trashed, in the fire around the middle the bull head can be seen on a stick is a reference to the movie and book Lord of the Flies.

*If Jimmy is knocked out during Prep Challenge, after respawning, he will sometimes say "Just like Rocky", a reference to the film Rocky.

*The way the Nerds take their revenge on the Jocks in Chapter 4 and the overall feud between the nerds and jocks throughout the game is similar to the film Revenge Of The Nerds.

*When starting a fight, Ray sometimes quotes Ahab from Moby Dick, saying "To the last, I will grapple with thee!" He also quotes Ahab when knocked out, saying "From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee..." Fatty mutters an inverted version of this famous revenge line when knocked out.

Non-Rockstar video games

*Ray Hughes can be heard saying "They say that kids imitate characters from video games, but I have yet to become a mustached plumber", a reference to Super Mario Bros.. It also refers to the controversy surrounding Bully before the game's release.

*On the laptop computer in the basement of Dragon Wings Comics you can see a picture of Master Chef from Halo.

Comic Books

*Dragon Wings Comics has many comic books on the shelves that are spoofs of real life comic books. "The Freaky 4" is a parody of The Fantastic Four, and "Piff The Skull" is reminiscent of Invader Zim.

*Ray Hughes references Wolverine, as one of his lines when he starts a fight is "Snkt! Let's go, bub!" Snkt is the sound effect of Wolverine's claws unsheathing. He also references Wolverine while fighting, often shouting "Berserker Barrage!"

*Ray also mentions The Avengers. When yelling for help from the prefects, he says "Avengers, assemble!"

Literature

*Melvin threatens to go "snicker-snacker with [his] vorpal sword" and calls people "foul bandersnatch" while fighting, both references to Lewis Caroll's Jabberwocky. The references are more apparent when he's hit in the groin, as he cries out "Right in my Jabberwocky!"

*Many Greasers quote The Outsiders. The lines "Do it for Johnny", "Johnny, a fire!" and "Stay gold, Ponyboy" are almost verbatim quotes. The rivalry between the Greasers and Preps also reference the rivalry in the same book. The mission featuring the all out fight between the two cliques, The Rumble, has the same name as the brawl between the story's Greasers and Socs.

*Many parallels are drawn between Jimmy Hopkins and Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye. For instance, both characters have been expelled from multiple schools. Jimmy also uses Holden's favourite insult, "phony", in the beginning cutscene. Also, the Lumberjack hat, which can be purchased at Worn In resembles the hat Holden is described to wear in the book.

Television

*Sometimes when the Townie Omar Romero is knocked out, he will say "I'm coming Elizabeth." Which is a reference to 1970s sitcom, Sanford and Son.

If you have found anything I may have overlooked, feel free to add it to the discussion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:34:58 AM by Corpsefiend »

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Refereneces to movies and other forms of popular culture in Bully.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:46:35 AM »
You got this from Bully wiki.  :laugh:

But anyways, here's a couple:

- When knocked out, Freeley quotes Hamlet sometimes: "Sleep...perchance to dream."

- Several characters say various versions of the phrase "Up your nose with a rubber hose" from "Welcome Back, Kotter."

- Dr. Bambillo makes an inverted SNL reference while fighting: "I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ASSWHOOPIN'!

- Justin quotes Bugs Bunny sometimes when he attacks: "Ain't I a stinker?"

- All of Omar's knocked out quotes are references to pop culture.

Offline Corpsefiend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
Yeah I did get a few off the Bully Wiki. Some of them I found myself, but most of them I knew about before ever going to that page.

Mike_W

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:08:48 AM »
I'm surprised you didn't add Pedro's quote: "What does: "Just call me Ishmael" even mean?" when he's knocked out. Another Moby Dick reference.

Shit, that must have been on Bullworth's summer reading list or something! lol