News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Bully File Editor *beta testing thread*  (Read 19841 times)

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
Bully File Editor *beta testing thread*
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:55:12 AM »
I am in the process of coding a file editor for Bully that will let you edit the various dat, cfg, ide, etc files in a easy to understand layout. I will be posting details here within the next day or two depending on how things go and how much time I get to work on this. Anyone that wishes to take part in beta testing this editor should let me know in this thread and I will pm the files to the testers. I also have in the works a possible savegame editor as well but I have not yet decided if or when I will work on that project since I am also still working to crack interiors fully.

*UPDATE*

The editor is now in beta stage and those that wish to test need to apply here. I will keep a list of testers and will accept no more then 6 testers. I must ask those that are testing to not share or give out the beta version due to the fact that it will most likely have bugs and is not fully finished. Once I consider it worthy of release to the general public I will update this thread and make bullyboard the official download spot for this and any other applications for bully that I make.

@ all testers
There are some gta flags leftover in this since I originally did this app for gta san andreas and vice city during my gta modding days. Was lucky enough to recover the source to this from one of my damaged hdds I recovered from my house fire and I am currently removing all the gta file handlers and coding bully specific file handlers due to some of the formats being different.

Also please note: make backup copies of any file you plan to edit with this program since it removes any commenting from the file when saving it. I will be fixing this bug since for some reason the app it detecting # as whitespace and so it saves the file with any # symbol removed.

other then that I hope that ppl will find this tool useful and eventually my goal is to make this tool able to edit almost every file for bully, tho wether that happens or not depends on if I can reverse engineer some of the other files that we all need to be able to edit easier.

Everyone that applies here (till I get 6 testers) will get the beta copy sent via pm.

Here are screenshots of the editor so everyone knows what this looks like and can do:

splash screen:

Editing the pedstats.dat file:

Editing the handling.cfg file:

Editing the area bounding box file:

Editing one of the dat files from trigger.img, part1:

Editing one of the dat files from trigger.img, part2:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:43:07 PM by |XF|-MadmaN[AR] »

Offline eellliioottt123

• View Profile
Re: Bully File Editor *comming soon*
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
I am in the process of coding a file editor for Bully that will let you edit the various dat, cfg, ide, etc files in a easy to understand layout. I will be posting details here within the next day or two depending on how things go and how much time I get to work on this. Anyone that wishes to take part in beta testing this editor should let me know in this thread and I will pm the files to the testers. I also have in the works a possible savegame editor as well but I have not yet decided if or when I will work on that project since I am also still working to crack interiors fully.

I can beta test.

Offline Rise

• View Profile
Re: Bully File Editor *comming soon*
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
I can beta test also

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
    • View Profile
Re: Bully File Editor *beta testing thread*
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
@ eellliioottt123, BullyIMod123

I sent pm's to you both with the link to download it. Accidently screwed the title up to one pm  :unsure:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:05:27 PM by |XF|-MadmaN[AR] »

Offline Rise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »
@ eellliioottt123, BullyIMod123

I sent pm's to you both with the link to download it. Accidently screwed the title up to one pm  :unsure:
hey this is amazing but it gives me a error when i try to open a ide

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:31:31 AM »
k, I will check that out.

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
Ok, That problem you were having is definately a file format issue and I should have that fixed by mid to late afternoon today and I will update the download link. I am also working to spice up the interface a little bit and if all goes well that should also be done by later today or late tonite. I do however need help getting the format of the default.idb file figured out tho since the other .ide files are not even supposed to be with the game since those are pieces of the game script source, but I have yet to figure out what format the .idb files even are and i have yet to figure out if they are compiled somehow or of they are just simply encoded. Once those are figured out I will add the ability to edit and make/compile/encode new ones with my bully editor which that will allow fighting style editing with a easy to use tool. At least that is what my goal is.
@BullyIMod123 BTW, have you noticed any other bugs or issues editing files other then what you have said so far? My biggest worry is file corruption which hopefully never happens since this editor is supposed to auto-detect the format the script files are in and allow them to be edited. Even tho yes you can edit the same files with notepad...etc this tool just makes it far easier and since the spaces between columns is very important....this will help new modders edit the game in a much easier to understand way.

@everyone   
I will be making a series of .pdf files that will have the relevent information regarding the comments thats in each of the editable files that this editor is for. This will make a permanent copy of them to look at if needed since I still have not figured out how to get the editor to save the comments and not strip them out. I am also working on a few other things as well for fun that I will release in the next several days or so as time permits.

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
I would beta test the ide, but like you said, if the source is within the encoded idb file, then that's not my thing. And I have no clue on how to edit the trigger and other stuff, so...

Offline InsanityGames

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
i can beta test to because i know coding ^^ i make my own graphics mod
its your choice :)

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »
Editing the trigger.img file is easy. All you do is extract all the files inside trigger.img to a directory named however you want. Then you can use my bully editor im working on to edit the files. Atm most the files show up as a unknown format for bully since I am currently decoding the file formats and constructing the proper code to detect them properly. But they can still be edited. The ide files should be edited with a text editor like notepad++ until I get that file format working correct since atm you cant save a ide file since its not detected right.

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
@insanitygames.....cool with me since the more testers the better off I am in getting this editor finished. I will send you a link soon as I update the editor since I am currently setting it so the pedstats.dat file displays correct and has the columns named properly.

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »
I could however use your help decoding the default.idb file since if you look at the default.ide it happens to be the source to default.idb. If I can get that file format figured out then fighting style editing will be easy as pie to do without the need to hex edit. :)

Offline InsanityGames

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
idk you got msn? or xfire? (better to talk)

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
I have xfire. You and I talked before on xfire and you should already have me added. I really dont use msn or any the other chat protocols out there since xfire is what my clan uses as a whole. incase you do somehow not have it my xfire is madmancorp

Offline InsanityGames

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »
OH i remember good old times :D