News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Wal-mart stops Bully pre-sales under pressure  (Read 2889 times)

Offline DJEAZY

• View Profile
Wal-mart stops Bully pre-sales under pressure
« on: August 17, 2006, 05:19:15 PM »
UK news site The Register is reporting that Wal-Mart has stopped taking pre-orders for the controversial game Bully after a lawsuit filed by Jack Thompson in Florida circuit court named the retailer as a defendant. Thompson targeted the big box store for "recklessly pre-selling Bully to children with no age rating having even been affixed to the game."

Though Wal-mart wouldn't confirm to The Register that the halt was in response to the complaint, the timing is certainly suspect (we're still waiting for a response to a request for comment from Walmart). Thompson has also reportedly sent letters to Amazon and Toys R Us requesting they stop taking pre-orders for the game.

Thompson's argued that pre-selling Bully to children is "akin to a pharmaceutical company selling a new and controversial drug without prior FDA approval." This seems a little ridiculous to us -- assuming the game is rated M before its release (a relatively safe assumption), any store that took pre-orders could simply refund the money and refuse to give the game to any unaccompanied child that comes to pick it up. Preventing the 83 percent of console game purchasers that are adults from reserving a game just because children may try to get it seems to us like too draconian a response.

Offline Manbearpig

• Official PR Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:38:38 PM »
That sucks for people who wanted to get their copy at Wal-Mart.

My Wal-Mart is taking pre-orders and even has 'RESERVE BULLY NOW' in the games section.

Offline BloodArtist

• The artist formally known as AgentSmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 11:52:22 PM »
i go to gamestop, im pretty sure not too many people have reserved bully

Offline Wakkadude21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:44:37 PM »
I honestly hope someone tries to keep me from buying this game just so I can make them look like a ginormous idiot. And get them fired.;)