News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Is anyone a fan of Gary in the game?  (Read 15275 times)

Offline Freak of nature

• View Profile
Re: Is anyone a fan of Gary in the game?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »
Okay "Peachrocks" surely I understand that you don't like Gary at all and you don't want him to be in "Bully 2" If they come out with the game, but without Gary the game would be nothing, like I said awhile ago I mean common who wouldn't want a crazy ass nut job in the game ya know? I was reading some other comments and crap about how some people get mad because everyone loves Gary and we all flaw to him? Well of course! He's cute I personally love the way the way he is. I don't get why people are so fond of "Algie" because he's a worhless pee bag! Not trying to be mean and I'm not talking about anyone off this page of anyone who commented on the post I made "Is anyone a fan of Gary in the game?" but for the other people In other discussions SCREW YOU ALL! you guys have no good taste in character's at ALL!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:55:41 AM by くにお »

Offline Peachrocks

• A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »
I actually haven't met many people who like Algernon and have completed the game. They do at first, but once they realise he's a just user of people and attempts to get their pity to get his way and never returns the favour he becomes more and more disliked.

The problem with using Gary in Bully 2 is ironically a problem that should have been in Bully 1 if he really acted that way. Nobody should trust him, period. Ever. Full stop.

This seriously comprimises any evil plot that requires he manupilate anybody and if he became a good guy he'd lose what makes him supposedly likeable in the first place, even if it was the 'good is not nice, snarky style' good guy.

I may dislike Gary but I only dislike the end product. The character itself and its intended design is actually pretty awesome. It's just the end product is so far away from this and the plot so rushed it does not come off.

It's possible to replicate the intended design for Gary and put it in another role even in the Bullworth environment or something connected to but it cannot be lived through Gary himself because of the irrepairable damage done in the first one, you either break his character or make the plot even more ridiculous, it is simply better to drop the character and try again.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 03:47:29 AM »
Yep, a new one.  Like Jake in our fanfic story.  Wouldn't be too much different there, since Gary is either in cutscenes or offscreen most of the original story anyway.  We ship Jake out of school early, and then explain what he is doing on the outside to try and take control of the school.  Making him elusive enough (and lucky enough) not to get caught just serves to keep the story going.  But there is a deeper evil in Bullworth, and the towns, to provide more of a plot going forward in the story.

I always found the 'plot' to Bully kind of lame as far as Gary was concerned after Chapter 1.  And, match that with the Pussy ending (Gary's Defeat), which was so easy a 6-year-old could likely play through it with their eyes closed.  I do hope for a better villain and a much better plot for Bully 2. 

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »
I do think there could be a sequel where you play as Gary as he tries to redeem his name.

I mean, in the Kyrandia series, Malcolm is initially the bad guy. But in the third game, you play as him, and he still has his narcissistic and sarcastic personality as he tries to survive (and it was not only the funniest game in the series, but also by far the best)...

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
Does anyone think that the character would have worked better had they consolidated Gary and Petey into one person?  In other words make him sarcastic like Gary but loyal like Petey throughout most of the game, not turning on Jimmy at the end of Chapter 1.  It would've explained why Jimmy didn't go after Gary until he was expelled.  Interestingly enough, Gary's monologue at the end would have still made sense.

Offline Scum

• I'm Scum.
  • Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
That.. that's actually a good idea! You seem to be full of them :)

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
That.. that's actually a good idea! You seem to be full of them :)

Well I'm full of something, but hey thanks!   :D

Offline Peachrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »
Does anyone think that the character would have worked better had they consolidated Gary and Petey into one person?  In other words make him sarcastic like Gary but loyal like Petey throughout most of the game, not turning on Jimmy at the end of Chapter 1.  It would've explained why Jimmy didn't go after Gary until he was expelled.  Interestingly enough, Gary's monologue at the end would have still made sense.

Actually this what I thought in my restructure except Petey would still be in the story. The biggest problem with Gary is the fact Jimmy never has any reason to go after him when you know he's an enemy.

How do you resolve this? By not making him an enemy until absolutely neccessary.  This is only a very rough outline of the 'changes' but it's too long as is :P.

Simply put Gary would be made headboy in chapter 2's beginning though he has already set Jimmy up to face against Russell in the hole, though Jimmy has no idea who did that and who's spreading hearsay about what he is saying. Petey suspects Gary of something fishy but of course Jimmy as always never listens to Petey in regards to Gary.

However for Gary to keep 'order' within the cliques he uses Jimmy as his unoffical enforcer while at the same time (unknown to Jimmy obviously) gives them reasons to hate him. Jimmy then pacifies the cliques as he does in the main story. Petey is still Jimmy's 'guide' telling him to solve the problem that Gary sets out (and causes).

You might say at the end of chapter 4 is where Gary stops taking his meds. Gary then goes to the townies and gets their help to start causing problems. You ever wondered how Gurney got into the school and set the gym on fire? Gary. Not to mention there's a secret passageway inside the school by the asylum. It'd be pretty easy for him to get in undetected, especially with inside help.

Jimmy is of course accused of doing everything bad for exactly the same reason as normal. Because Gary said so. Except this time he is actually trustworthy at this point rather than a horrible liar which makes it far more believeable that people would listen to him.

This of course leads Jimmy to being expelled. Knowing that the townies caused his problems he seeks them out for a beating and upon beating Edgar the pair finally put the pieces together since Edgar realises he wasn't going to get to rule the school, or even continue to prank them because Gary had already achieved his goal of removing Jimmy and now they are an 'enemy' and therefore would no longer recieve his inside help.

Then of course Gary carries out the finale as before, causing everyone to fight each other and 'turning the school into a battleground', just for kicks. He's obviously the insane lunatic now we all know and loathe :P.

A few simple changes and Gary goes from a horrible obvious see through liar who nobody would believe where the hero has to carry an idiot ball to make the plot work to a devious mastermind.

I do think there could be a sequel where you play as Gary as he tries to redeem his name.

I mean, in the Kyrandia series, Malcolm is initially the bad guy. But in the third game, you play as him, and he still has his narcissistic and sarcastic personality as he tries to survive (and it was not only the funniest game in the series, but also by far the best)...

Ehhh... it'd be risky, because Gary's not only devious he also shows a complete lack of morals and it was even said in this thread that's one of his most likeable features. It'd be very difficult to portray him as a hero. If Gary really must return to Bully, it'd have to be with some sort of leverage. Like something he knows about the school that Crabblesnitch doesn't want people knowing about but something that's difficult to prove thus giving a potential protaganist a mission.

This gives him an out from Happy Volts and a way back into Bullworth but as a playable character (either as a hero or a villain) I don't know, the guy is not known for his fighting ability but I guess you could remedy that. To be honest I really believe too much damage was done in the first game to make him return in any believeable fashion without completely destroying the reasons people like him in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:58:22 PM by Peachrocks »

Offline Scum

• I'm Scum.
  • Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
This I'd like to see. I can imagine it, and in my eyes it makes for a better plot!

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
Yeah that is really good.  The amazing thing to me is how little you changed the story and how it made so much more sense.  Good one!   :cool:

Offline Peachrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
Thanks. I had that idea sitting in my head for sometime but never found the right place to put it. Still I guess you can understand my frustration a little at Gary's incomplete character and yet people still flock to him, I guess I understand now that's because the base idea is actually good even though the finished product isn't.

Offline Freak of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
No "Peachrocks" I do with agree with your story up there^^^ It actually does make more sense. About changing Gary's character an all. But if everyone like's him the way he is then why change him? I think He should still be in "Bully 2" but not be the bad guy this time. Yeah he can still be a bitch and a smart ass to everyone but not minipulate them like he did in "Bully." Maybe his character in "Bully 2" could be nice and mean or instead of being an outcast like he is why not join another group? Such as the preps or a greaser? I think It would be a good story if he played as one of those character's, That's my favorite thing about the game is watching the whole story of it. I like how it played out but maybe Gary could change for he next one? One thing is for sure though I highly dout that "Rockstar games" will even listen to our idea's or what we think about the game. So if they do come out with a "Bully 2" and put Gary in it they may just make him the same or maybe even worse. No matter what though Gary will always be my #1   :P

Chrissy

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 02:51:32 AM »
I used to love him.

Why used?
I grew up. I don't know. I like video game characters, but they don't hold the same appeal they used to to me.

Funfact: My original username on here was Gary Smith.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 07:43:19 AM »
THAT'S RIGHT BOYS AND GIRLS, THEY ARE NOT REAL !!!!!!!!!!!

And that's why it don't bother me one bit to bash, stab, shoot, maim, run over, or kill them.

They are just pixels on a screen, mere images encrypted on a disc.   

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »
Precisely !  They are a MAJOR stress reliever.  Pissed off at real people ?  Just kill some imaginary ones.  It'll make you feel better.