News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: [PC][Tutorial]Working with textures  (Read 27325 times)

Offline AJ Collins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GZWN
[PC][Tutorial]Working with textures
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »
Replacing/editing textures in Bully SE
Requirements:

Things to remember:
NFT and TXD files are actually NIF files

Intro:
Bully: SE on the Wii, PC, and Xbox 360 use a customized version of the GameBryo engine instead of RenderWare. This is due to the fact that EA bought RenderWare and left the version for the now current-generation consoles in a very bad state (this had a big impact on Crackdown and the developers of it had to even hack the tools for RenderWare to get them working properly). When Mad Doc ported the game from the RenderWare engine to GameBryo, they cut some corners. One corner they cut was textures. Typically GameBryo has both the model and the respective texture in the same file called a Net Immerse (the former name of the GameBryo engine) File, or NIF for short. On the other hand, RenderWare stores it's models and textures in two different files. Instead of combining them into one NIF, Mad Doc named the models to NIF and the texture files to NFT. Since the GameBryo tools out there don't know what a NFT file is, it refuses to open it. However, the only difference between a NIF and a NFT is the file extension. This means that if you rename the NFT to a NIF, GameBryo programs such as NIFTools will open the file with no problem.

How To:
1. Find the texture file (TXD/NFT) you wish to edit.
2. Change the file extension to NIF.
3. Double click the file to open it up in NIFTools.
4. Right click on the texture in the list, go to Texture and then click Export.
5. Open up the exported TGA file in a image editor that can edit TGA files. For this tutorial, I'm using Paint.NET.
6. Edit the texture. When done, save it. If asked for settings, keep the default ones and click OK.
7. In NIFTools, right click on the texture again, go to Texture and then click Embed.
8. When you imported your new texture, NIFTools may have created a new line called "NiPixelData". Right click on it, go to Block and then click on Remove.
9. Go to File > Save As or just hit Ctrl + S and save it.
10. Rename the file back to the NFT extension.

And that's it. Load up the game and you should see it. If not, check other textures with names like it. If the game crashes, make sure you deleted the NiPixelData as Bully doesn't like it being there. I'll add pictures later and if I get some time, a quickly hacked together version of NIFTools for Bully. :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:09:47 PM by AJ Collins »

Offline Prosecute

• View Profile
    • NewDayStudios
Re: [PC][Tutorial]Working with textures
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:47:51 AM »
can't believe no ones posted yet, anyway excellent tutorial youve put this across quite well, im going to be sure to check this out whenever i get a few minss

Offline vezii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »
Awesome tutorial, I knew about NifTools and I use it sometimes to look at the models and their clothing when I'm drawing them :) but I didn't know how to replace textures~ ty!

Offline Carlosvc92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »
Any ideas on how to import and install textured models into the game?
That would be even better than re-texturing the models already in the game.

Offline Mercury

• Bullworth Official Steroids Dealer
  • Workout Freak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »
You mean, creating a 3D model into... Let's say Google SketchUp for example, and just bring it into the game ? Don't know. We better try to find the files corresponding to the "boy's dorm" for example, and try to edit that first.

Offline Carlosvc92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:27:09 PM »
Well, I kinda meant, new characters in the game without having to replace old ones.

KiddSlimm

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:15 PM »
I'm new here and I just wanna say thanks for the quick tutorial on how to work with the textures. It helped a ton. I've modded a few games in my time and none have been as hard to reverse engineer as this one! I'm currently re-texturing Jimmy's clothes and my first attempt was a success due to this tut! Thx again!

Offline Brett

• Cartman Zombie
  • I Pwn noobs for a Living
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »
I can't find the texture i'm supposed to right click

Offline BullySEMyths

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »
awesome tutorial. 5*

Offline SyedJengsebong

• Bully Modder but sometime...
  • Bully Modder but sometime... Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
Nice. It's helping.

Offline Carlosvc92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »
Here's some tips and advice, when retexturing, you obviously want to make characters look different, my way of doing it is changing the characters ethnicity, for example, making Bo white with Blonde hair, or making vance black. If you read my series of comics, you can see that my main character is Jerry's Gym outfit with a goat T and tan skin, so I say he is Latino now. And he looks way different! Another factor is making them shorter or taller but that's another story not related to retexturing lol

Offline NickOliveira

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
Replacing/editing textures in Bully SE
Requirements:

Things to remember:
NFT and TXD files are actually NIF files

Intro:
Bully: SE on the Wii, PC, and Xbox 360 use a customized version of the GameBryo engine instead of RenderWare. This is due to the fact that EA bought RenderWare and left the version for the now current-generation consoles in a very bad state (this had a big impact on Crackdown and the developers of it had to even hack the tools for RenderWare to get them working properly). When Mad Doc ported the game from the RenderWare engine to GameBryo, they cut some corners. One corner they cut was textures. Typically GameBryo has both the model and the respective texture in the same file called a Net Immerse (the former name of the GameBryo engine) File, or NIF for short. On the other hand, RenderWare stores it's models and textures in two different files. Instead of combining them into one NIF, Mad Doc named the models to NIF and the texture files to NFT. Since the GameBryo tools out there don't know what a NFT file is, it refuses to open it. However, the only difference between a NIF and a NFT is the file extension. This means that if you rename the NFT to a NIF, GameBryo programs such as NIFTools will open the file with no problem.

How To:
1. Find the texture file (TXD/NFT) you wish to edit.
2. Change the file extension to NIF.
3. Double click the file to open it up in NIFTools.
4. Right click on the texture in the list, go to Texture and then click Export.
5. Open up the exported TGA file in a image editor that can edit TGA files. For this tutorial, I'm using Paint.NET.
6. Edit the texture. When done, save it. If asked for settings, keep the default ones and click OK.
7. In NIFTools, right click on the texture again, go to Texture and then click Embed.
8. When you imported your new texture, NIFTools may have created a new line called "NiPixelData". Right click on it, go to Block and then click on Remove.
9. Go to File > Save As or just hit Ctrl + S and save it.
10. Rename the file back to the NFT extension.

And that's it. Load up the game and you should see it. If not, check other textures with names like it. If the game crashes, make sure you deleted the NiPixelData as Bully doesn't like it being there. I'll add pictures later and if I get some time, a quickly hacked together version of NIFTools for Bully. :P

eh im using imgtools to edit the files in ´´world.img´´ i follow your tutorial correctly but when i start the game in load screen the game crash!i dont know what to do! :'(

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:18 PM »
Obviously you did something wrong, then.

Offline Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »
is anyone know how make a nif back to nft?? please i'm getting crazy..

Offline Walter20210

• I keep loving the old things :P
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Account
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »
You dont need to embed the texture

(It works in both ways but sometimes it makes your game crash when you embed them.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:19:30 AM by Walter20210 »