News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: What Sucks about Bully...  (Read 15098 times)

Offline Jay

• View Profile
Re: What Sucks about Bully...
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
Rockstar can do stealth action gameplay really well, like in the Manhunt series. But in other games where they try to incorporate the same thing it usually falls flat completely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess why the stealth is so crap in Bully/GTA is because they don't have the same style as Manhunt.... however Rockstar gets too over-excited or something, so they try to bring stealth from Manhunt into Bully/GTA which goes terribly wrong because it dosn't have the same structure as Manhunt? Am I wrong??

Offline Corpsefiend

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »
If they tried to put the same style of stealth gameplay that's in Manhunt into GTA/Bully it wouldn't work. Trying to duplicate the same feeling of tension and atmosphere wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for the type of games they are. What they do instead is duplicate it on a very, VERY basic level. What ends up happening is these sections of the game are used too rarely or break under the kind of control these games incorporate.

What they could do instead is use Manhunt's stealth mechanics as a base, but at the same time prefect the controls and give the player more options and incentive to do so.

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • More Than Halfway There
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
If they used stealth that's similar to the one in The Warriors, would've been fine.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
Some Shadows to hide in would help....

Offline Corpsefiend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »
Yeah, it would be cool to see. But the trash cans and lockers you can hide in pretty much have the same effect.

Offline Al Arlington

• 101A
  • Money Handler
    • View Profile
    • My Official Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
If they tried to put the same style of stealth gameplay that's in Manhunt into GTA/Bully it wouldn't work.
I'll admit in GTA it's a lil better cos you have the guns and more risk of being caught.
With Bully however, it's kinda "out of order" if you know what I mean.

Finding Johnny Vincent should of had more orderlies or mental patients who'll scream if they see you. Or rescuing Johnny from the townie hideout.

I don't wanna sound like I'm offending Rockstar, but I could of thought of a lot better layout for Chapter 5.

Finding Johnny Vincent, You see Lola and Norton talking and then Peanut comes up, with bruises saying the townies kidnapped and attack Johnny.
You then have to go to the Townie hangout (Hideout save point) and search for Johnny with no help, and the townies have fire crackers and bottle rockets. and there are loads of them.
Not just 7, but say about 16.

Then a mini-boss fight against Henry would be fun. Or Gurney.

Chrissy

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »
They could have explained some things better. For example, show you what Gary was doing behind your back - sort of like a 'meanwhile...' type scenario. Alternatively, they could have had either flashback scenes or even artwork depicting what Gary was doing to get you into trouble/hated while he was explaining his things during his monologue. You really only see Gary being malicious towards you in The Hole and in one of the prep missions. I think that while the story was good, it did have a lot of holes. More could have been explained. They definitely could have delved deeper into the cliques/characters. Maybe even made the story a bit darker.

I think it would have been interesting to see Gary's sanity unraveling and his influence grow. As for Jimmy, it would have been interesting to have members of the factions shun him, or perform malicious pranks on him, as well. Things like the 'kick me' sign, or kicking the soccer ball at him to knock him down - or even trip him if he was running by..

The game was brilliant, definitely innovative, but I think they could have done more.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:22:47 PM by Chrissy »

deadpoolXYZ

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Wow I had the idea to make a machinima about that. It's like you read my mind. LOL

Offline Corpsefiend

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
I agree, but at the same time I like that we don't know what Gary was really up to. Gives us room to speculate. Like in Manhunt how they never gave us any back story for James Earl Cash. We don't know how he ended up on death row, what crimes or circumstances he was convicted under, or even if he was truly guilty to begin with. I think what Rockstar was getting at is, since Cash doesn't have any solid background information you have to bring your own ideas and interpretations that makes the story more interesting to you.

Same could be said about Gary.

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »
Yeah, but here's the thing: He's a known sociopath, apparently. And despite this reputation, he can still somehow manipulate others into such extreme measures.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »
Just like some people we all know in Real Life.

Offline Red Blaster

• The BB Arab
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 05:46:33 AM »
Ain't it the (sad) truth.

Offline Al Arlington

• 101A
  • Money Handler
    • View Profile
    • My Official Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
I agree, but at the same time I like that we don't know what Gary was really up to. Gives us room to speculate. Like in Manhunt how they never gave us any back story for James Earl Cash. We don't know how he ended up on death row, what crimes or circumstances he was convicted under, or even if he was truly guilty to begin with. I think what Rockstar was getting at is, since Cash doesn't have any solid background information you have to bring your own ideas and interpretations that makes the story more interesting to you.

Same could be said about Gary.

Yeah. Like in GTA SA.
SPOILER AHEAD

After the Green Sabre, we know what Big Smoke and Ryder are up to,with Ryder bringing dugs to LS with the Loco Syndicate and Smoke signing for the drugs, but we don't actually know what Tenpenny is up to, until the few last missions.

This part is about Bully 2
I want to see a broader story.
Like we get tips/hear stuff about what the antogonist is up to behind our backs.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »
I definitely agree that it would be awesome to see how Gary caused grief for Jimmy, it would make the game more interesting in my opinion. It could be like a twist..should I say, Gary went through a tough life because no-body liked him, he would often get beat up and abused by his parents?

What I'm saying Gary wanted to come out of his shell and try to be the big guy and get noticed by the other cliques and student's. So he done the same thing his Bullies done to him, that was just a made-up example what Gary's life was like when he was younger.

Offline Corpsefiend

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
Directed by M. Night Shyamalan...