News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: PS2 Graphics/Textures for PC Version  (Read 12708 times)

Offline Screenracer

• View Profile
PS2 Graphics/Textures for PC Version
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
I would do it myself but I have no idea how to extract the files from the PS2 disk.

Offline WhenLifeGivesYouLemons

• xfire: 1emonthatsme
  • 波動バースト
    • View Profile
Re: PS2 Graphics/Textures for PC Version
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
Just get the Bully Iso and look through the files from there.

To extract the textures and such I have no experience doing so.

However it doesn't hurt to try thing out on your own :]

FaZe

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »
Someone did make it so that you get PS2 Style graphics on your pc version, it was done with Scripts I think, it was a simple replacing file technique, it made it look perfectly like PS2, and it also glitched with the words, "It's cold out here" everytime you press the taunt button.

Offline riki2cool

• The most festive member
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
Why exactly would you want the PS2 textures though?

Offline Screenracer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »
Why exactly would you want the PS2 textures though?

For me, Bully was a very memorable game when I played in for the PS2. I recently got it for the PC I was surprised that it didnt look like the original PS2 version. It really didnt feel the same playing through it with all the new high res stuff.

Also, I got the PS2 world.img file and replaced it with the original and the game crashes after the menu.

deadpoolXYZ

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »
For me, Bully was a very memorable game when I played in for the PS2. I recently got it for the PC I was surprised that it didnt look like the original PS2 version. It really didnt feel the same playing through it with all the new high res stuff.

Also, I got the PS2 world.img file and replaced it with the original and the game crashes after the menu.

You can't just simply replace the file. Remember that scholarship edition has more features than the ps2 version so basically there would be missing files such as textures, models and animations.
For example the santa hobo was added in scholarship edition. Using ps2 world.img wouldn't work because it lacks his nif and nft files.

Offline Screenracer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »

You can't just simply replace the file. Remember that scholarship edition has more features than the ps2 version so basically there would be missing files such as textures, models and animations.
For example the santa hobo was added in scholarship edition. Using ps2 world.img wouldn't work because it lacks his nif and nft files.

How stupid am I? I should have looked in the files before replacing them because if I did I would have realized that it uses TXD files. No idea how im going to do it now... :wacko:

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »
I really wouldnt even both attempting this since the ps2 textures are extremely low resolution and they only appear to be higher quality to the pc version due to a little bit of trickery with the textures. There is a lot of bump mapping and displacement mapping involved in order to fake things like extra details and such while keeping the textures at a extremely low resolution. Think of resolutions of 320x240 and so on...those are about the size of the textures for the ps2 version....where the pc version uses textures that are anywhere from 512x512 to 1024x1024 in size.

My mega mod which is currently on the back burner uses textures that are 4000x4000 for everything which gives highly realistic looking textures.....but with the extreme downside of needing a very powerful setup to avoid major in-game lag.

The ps2 also uses the same engine that the pc version of gta: sa uses which is renderware and as such uses the same setup on texture and model formats.....where the pc version uses gamebryo which does not make any use of the txd format...even though if you do some exploring you will come across a few files that do indeed have the .txd extension...they are actually just renamed .nif files ....no idea why rockstar did this...but that simply is what it is.

FaZe

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 04:36:47 AM »
Madman, I actually managed to switch over Canis Canem from the PS2 to work on PC, without PCSX2 (Emulator). So it's Canis Canem with graphics like the PS2 version, but some are a bit glitchy or missing, I intend to fix those with the PC graphics for those models only. I would show you, but at the moment I only have one pc, and if I took a photo of it, it would come out blurry, and I can't take screenshots in game.

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
Well...I never said that this was impossible...heh

I just said that I wouldn't even bother due to the lower quality of the textures....

however...

you DID give me a great idea which might prove popular with a few members of the community...hehehe...

There is one advantage to using the ps2 version of the textures....if one gets them working and everything....

it will speed the game up a lot...especially for those that have a pc that is not super powerful and allow for the game to run much smoother....so.....in a sense....this is where this type of modding would come in handy so...I will state that this could be useful to those that simply want to make the game smoother...etc and go from there.

I might mess around with this myself (even though I said I wouldn't) and see what sort of future this type of mod would have...hehehe.

FaZe

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
Just a heads up MadmaN, quite a few of the textures are Missing, and so you might have to do what i did and place some of the PC textures into the game to replace the missing ones.

Offline Mick3Mouse

• Obam3mouse
  • Bullworth Junkie
  • Major Mick3Mouse Algie Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 03:22:48 AM »
the ps2 dont use nft and nifs im am right

Offline Screenracer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
the ps2 dont use nft and nifs im am right

It also has quite a wierd way of setting up its IMG files...

The only file im able to open out of all of those, is "WORLD.IMG" which is missing some content that the other files probly contain.

Offline Mick3Mouse

• Obam3mouse
  • Bullworth Junkie
  • Major Mick3Mouse Algie Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 04:53:34 AM »
what program u use. i feel like exploreing too

Offline Screenracer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
what program u use. i feel like exploreing too

To open the ISO file? I just used WinRAR.