News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: You can't see the changes until you restart the game [STEAM]  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Unknownsoldier

• View Profile
You can't see the changes until you restart the game [STEAM]
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
I noticed something. It was confusing the SHIT out of me at first, but when I restarted the game, my edited mod was finally changed.

Pretty much what I was doing, is I was making a mod, and for testing stages, I added a coordinate grabber.

The way I've always made script mods is, test it in game, no work? ALT+TAB the game, fix the script, compile, blah blah, and put it back in the IMG archive, and go back in the game, main menu, and story. The changes would be there without fully restarting the game: just going to the main menu and back.

I got the steam version, and I found that you cannot quite do that. Or at least not me. I have to completely restart the game.

It's not really bothering me, cause Bully's load time is really short.(but if it was gta... rip)

yeah

But just a reminder incase anyone else wondered, or whatever. Felt like posting this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:58:10 AM by Unknownsoldier »

Offline DaBOSS54320

• View Profile
Re: You can't see the changes until you restart the game [STEAM]
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 07:10:45 PM »
It should work at least a few times, it does for me. However after doing it a couple times (maybe like 10 times) the game will crash or just stop updating the script. I also notice that each time you restart the game, function addresses are a lil higher, however each first time you start the game, they seem to be the same. This hints towards the problem being that some memory is simply left over when you restart the game, and that's why you can only do it a limited amount of times. This is just speculation though, but it should let you at least a few times since it does for me and your PC isn't terrible.

If you wanna know what I mean with the function addresses, you can find where functions in LUA are stored in memory by simply using the tostring function with a function as an argument, same with tables. TextPrintString("PlayerSetHealth: "..tostring(PlayerSetHealth),3,1)

It's not really bothering me, cause Bully's load time is really short.(but if it was gta... rip)

True dat.

Offline Unknownsoldier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:26:52 AM »
It's happening constant, not really one time that it works.

Off topic a lil: I'm still getting used to having to manually use the commandline to compile lua files, then manually use the IMG editor to put it in the scripts.img. I got so used to just clicking the batch file. But I think when it's a [permissioned?] or folder that a COMPANY put it in, it needs like rights or something (idfk) to modify via an auto cmdline. I moved the folder to the desktop once, but it removes the steam overlay.

Offline DaBOSS54320

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:25:39 AM »
Maybe that's the problem, the IMG tool you're using. I use MadmaN's IMG Toolkit V1 and it works for me. The problem with rights you're talking about is because files in Program Files need administrator rights to be accessed. I'm fairly certain you can make the batch file always run as administrator through properties or something, and if not just get used to right clicking it to run as administrator.

Offline Unknownsoldier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
I'm using the Bully IMG editor from madman. it's a gui since auto commandline dont work