News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: TODAY is when Gamers all REJOICE!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6796 times)

Offline MGS Dude

• View Profile
    • JohnnyCage2000.com
TODAY is when Gamers all REJOICE!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:02:04 PM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
JACK THOMPSON GOT PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

While Niero is at the courthouse, he’s asked me to blog this for you, so that we can get the information out as soon as humanly possible.

At 1:51, Niero called, saying that the judge will not prohibit the the sale of Bully. In the time that he played the game, the judge said that he did not see anything so violent that would require the game to be held from being shipped. The judge and Take Two employee used a cheat code in order to skip around in the game and play through various parts, including the more graphic portions of the game. The judge said “There’s nothing in the game that you wouldn’t see on TV every night,” and that he “wouldn’t want his kids to play the game, but that shouldn’t mean that the game won’t ship.”

According to Niero, the courthouse got pretty heated, and at one point, the judge had to ask Mr. Thompson to sit down. Thompson was saying to the judge that this is not just a hearing, and was complaining that he didn’t get to actually sit down and play the game. Yet, a Take Two spokesman said that the judge, Mr. Thompson, and an employee all got to see gameplay. A total of two hours, actually. Also, Mr. Thompson silenced his “expert witness” when he was going to say something during the judge’s ruling. The judge said that Mr. Thompson could appeal his case to the 3rd Appellate Court, but Mr. Thompson expressed no interest in doing so, since it would be after the game had shipped.

That’s the immediate word that I got from Niero. He’ll be back in the office within a half hour or so to update. He’s getting some clarifications and all, and he’ll have a follow-up post later today. Gamers rejoice! Once again we are protected by level headed judges!

Offline Hitman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:05:52 PM »
Hmm even if it DID get banned it would only be in Florida. So its really not such a big deal.

I'm happy about our win though :)

Offline thebullykid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »
JT should kiss all our asses for being so stupid!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 05:04:43 PM by thebullykid »

Offline Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:54:59 PM »
Why the hell Jacko keeps trying and trying to ban games, he never succeeds, he must be a really crappy lawyer.

Anyway, now that the case is over and Bully will be released worldwide, R* should send a letter of thanks to Jack Thompson, because of the free advertising :D

Offline nadolny

• View Profile
    • http://www.rockstargames.com/bully
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 05:01:10 PM »
Thank God..

Offline Julius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:02:25 PM »
Burrrrnnneeeeedddddddd

Offline Xeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:36:56 PM »
As I'd said before, nothing would happen to the game.

Jack was made ot look a fool, also just as I'd predicted.
But what matters most is that we won. And I'll get my copy when the game releases.

Offline Hitman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 05:39:32 PM »
Heres more from gamepolitics.com

GP just had an e-mail from Jack Thompson regarding today’s ruling by a Florida court that Bully is not a public nuisance.

Here’s what the controversial attorney had to say:

“Immediately after the non-hearing, which violated his own order to give me a hearing, I filed an emergency petition for a writ of mandamus… asking the Third District to compel production of the game and to give me a real hearing on the TRO (temporary restraining order).  The Third District denied it.”

“…I am a Christian. I am not charged with winning these battles; I am charged with fighting them.  I have done the right thing.”

“The BBC itself says this is a game with a lot of violence in it, and what is absolutely absurd is the notion that Take-Two can release this game to major media like the BBC and not thereby waive their right to keep it out of the hands of a plaintiff.”

“The judge never viewed the entire game, as he promised he would.  He took unsworn testimony from 2 Take-Two employees, with no right by me to cross-examine.”

“The judge’s spiteful ‘production’ of the game after the game was released, on ‘Tuesday morning’ was childish.  The judge, then, violated an order to give me a hearing that he signed.  He violated his own promise to watch the game to conclusion (he did not), and he denied the TRO with absolutely no idea what a video game is and the expert testimony, which he did not want to hear, as to what the harm would be.”

“When kids start showing up in ERs with slingshot wounds at the hands of Bully enthusiasts, don’t blame me.”

GamePolitics will have more a bit later, including copies of Thompson’s legal motions from today.

Offline Xeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 05:48:35 PM »
“When kids start showing up in ERs with slingshot wounds at the hands of Bully enthusiasts, don’t blame me.”

That's such a crock of shit. If a kid wanted a slingshot, they could have gotten on, or made one long before Bully came out, and SEVERAL other media forms have shown children with slingshots. That's a pretty piss poor, andchildish final comment. It shows the real JT under his "Law and Order" front. He didn't get his way, so he's pissed off, and has to start acting more childish. His great victory turned into jack shit, so he's just bumming out.

Offline BloodArtist

• The artist formally known as AgentSmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 05:50:28 PM »
WOOT WOOT! Thats one small step for games, one giant leap for GAMERS!
i know it wont matter for anyone outside of florida, but still its great to know that Jack Thompson has been beaten (easely that is).

Offline Manbearpig

• Official PR Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »
Speed limits are for Jack Thompson!

Offline ArmedDragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 07:11:15 PM »
So now, he's blaming the judge. That's sure going to score him some points with the legal system.

Give up, Jacko. You got a competent judge. That's life.

Offline Ubernube

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 08:10:56 PM »
Phew, I was worried there for a second. Well, drinks are on me!

Offline 2gud4u

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 08:43:40 PM »
It's not about we don't care if it got banned in florida, it's the principal, of winning, and throwing it in jack thompsons face!!

Offline Znib

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 09:50:55 PM »

I have a something to say :D

http://youlose.ytmnd.com/