News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Poll

Pretty self explanatory, or if you don't fit in any of them... Which one would you join if you HAD to?

Greasers
7 (24.1%)
Preps
3 (10.3%)
Nerds
8 (27.6%)
Jocks
1 (3.4%)
Townies
6 (20.7%)
Bullies (For all you assholes out there, lol)
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: What Clique Would You Fit Into?  (Read 20242 times)

Offline Peachrocks

• A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
Re: What Clique Would You Fit Into?
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
This is my own perspective:  the clique leaders secretly hated Jimmy for embarrassing them in front of their goons and the whole school, and wanted revenge in Chapter 5.
That... I like that thought.

I think that Earnest, Johnny, Derby, and Ted are also the main villains of Bully, not just Gary.  And really, Gary turns out to be the least important of the five.   :ajajaxh5:

I can't agree with that. Johnny cannot be classed as a villain because Jimmy clearly acts on him first for no good reason other than because the plot says so, Derby doesn't give a stuff about any of the politics and probably thinks its beneath him. He's an ass yes but not a villain in the strictest sense. Earnest, possibly but not a very good one and Ted has so little storyline presence aside being the stereotypical jock leader that he's not even worth mentioning.

Furthermore if they were looking for revenge because of their authority within their cliques being undermined beating Gary wouldn't resolve anything at the end of the game, yet it clearly does. The intention was clearly for them to be all played by Gary but its so clumsily done it just doesn't come off right at all.

Also the reboot you pulled out was one of two particular comments on Gary and why he's such a flawed character and how I'll never understand his popularity.

Well, we couldn't really expect a rational Bully plot, seeing as how it was written for 12-year-olds.

Irrelevant and I think the game is rated higher then that, it is at least in this country, 15+ if I'm not mistaken. I've seen great stories for things intended for 8 years or less. The most obvious example that comes to mind is the 2003 series of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That had quite an interesting and even deep storyline at times (when it wasn't doing silly comic book super hero like based spin offs).

I just find it so incredibly odd that you have characters so detailed with loads of little details, each with their own backstories, things like Kirby's foot fetish and 'i'm totally not gay', Duncan's nerdy background and wish to fit in society or Ricky's girl problems. You can paint a lot of pictures with those things alone and they don't even come up in the main plot. Yet the main plot is full of plotholes and the villain is incredibly underdeveloped, it's just comes off as really odd to me...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:51:57 PM by Peachrocks »

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »
I didn't mean that they were all manipulators who cared about school politics like Gary and Earnest.  You're right, Derby probably felt that he was above all that, Johnny likely didn't care, and Ted only cared about winning the big game.  But their basic personalities and attitudes would have brought them into conflict with each other and with Jimmy, even without Gary.  (Derby's rich brat's snobbery, Johnny's mad jealousy, and Ted's boneheaded arrogance.)  I really believe that Gary couldn't have forced them to do anything that they weren't planning to do anyway.  He just gave them a way to turn on Jimmy while keeping their clique members' loyalty.  By Chapter 5, Jimmy had become too popular and the four clique leaders were desperate to dethrone the 'king of the school' and restore their lost positions.  I think that their cheering for Jimmy at the end of Chapter 5 was utter bullshit, just like their supposed loyalty to him was horseshit at the beginning of Chapter 5.  The only difference was that Gary's plan had been foiled and now Jimmy also had the loyalty of the Townies and Crabblesnitch.  If the story had continued past Chapter 5, I'm sure that the four clique leaders would have tried to get back at Jimmy again.  So what I'm saying is that Earnest, Ted, Johnny, and Derby were equals of Gary's in terms of their pride and resentment of Jimmy rather than their desire to 'rule the school'.  Only Gary (and Earnest) cared about that.   ;)

Offline Peachrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »
Fair enough. I have to agree I've never understood that cheering scene either and even my 'walls of text' can't decrypt what they were trying to get at there other than creating a happy atmosphere in which nothing honestly changes aside from anything to do with Jimmy which wasn't his point at all.

Kinda a big reason why I wouldn't want Jimmy as protagonist again, he'd just worn out his welcome IMO. I wouldn't mind the second game being set at Bullworth just to tie up those loose ends (Which can be done if Gary and Jimmy don't exist in the plot otherwise it all goes to hell).

I mean sure the plot feels questionable at times but it falls spectacularly to pieces in chapter 5 once Gary has to actually be on screen to present his 'scheme' rather than be off screen to convince the audience how devious he isn't.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:31:19 PM by Peachrocks »

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
Agreed.  If Rockstar returns to the Bullworth setting, Jimmy and Gary should not be in the game.  Maybe mention that Jimmy's mother remarried (again) and dragged him off to another town (or even another country).  Gary could possibly have a small part at the asylum.  (shrug)

Offline Peachrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:26 AM »
I wrote a tiny bit of a Bully 2 would be fic with a big plan and such and that's exactly what happens to those two. Jimmy only comes back at the end of the plot for 'dream match' (i.e anyone can fight anyone) fights in the hole and has minimal impact on the plot.

I just love the Bully 1 characters I wouldn't want to see them just disappear completely.

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 04:32:14 AM »
Even though it's rare nowadays, it brings a smile to my face when members converse over Bully, just as you two did just there. That was a great read, and it's just a pure bonus when Peach puts in intelligent thoughts on it. (Like Hayley, I love your essays... And yes, I have stalked you and your posts multiple times  :ninja:)

Anyways, this has given me an idea to make another 'Thought Provoking' Bully topic.

Thanks you two  :laugh:

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
I'm glad that you enjoyed it.  After all, this is supposed to be a Bully-Board.   :biggrin:

Offline Hayley

• _( :⁍ 」 )_
  • Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
Anyways, this has given me an idea to make another 'Thought Provoking' Bully topic.
So... what/where's the topic? :V

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2013, 12:05:31 AM »
It's coming, it's coming.  :-\

But seriously, it is. Today. BE PREPARED FOR GREATNESS.

Offline Hayley

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2013, 07:14:19 PM »
you are such a liar omg

*coughcough*

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »
I forgot about it, lol.

I'll post it today. Seriously.

i feel as if the topic will disappoint, but hey, it's still a topic, right? woot

Offline Hayley

• Global Moderator
  • I Live Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
Sure ya will.

~you won't know until you post it~

Offline WhenLifeGivesYouLemons

• xfire: 1emonthatsme
  • 波動バースト
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
^ lol

there is alot of townies out there  8)

Offline Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
there is alot of townies out there  8)

I'm one of them.   :ninja:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:10:55 PM by PErikP »

Offline Dave

• Global Moderator
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
I graduated from Bull Academy last June.