News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: research on violent games  (Read 2414 times)

Offline jaspooja

• View Profile
research on violent games
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:28:32 AM »
Hi

I am doing a research on violent video games and so could you please help me in answer the following questions:

1. Do businesses make money in selling violent games?

2. Are the current censorhip rules and laws are tough enough?

3. Effects of playing violent games? does it harm playing violent games.

4. Are games different to films/TV and Music.

Thank you in advance for taking time in filling in these questions.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:04:59 AM »
#1....Duh, course they do....

#2....There shouldn't be any censorship....

#3....I actually believe it helps in releasing tension....

#4....Yes, while entertaining, they can't match up to the game...

Chrissy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:24:02 AM »
Of course, why else would they put the effort in to produce the game? If there were no guarantee that it would sell, then they wouldn't write the story and create it. It's like an interactive movie.

2. Are the current censorhip rules and laws are tough enough?
Probably too tough. Movies get away with more.

3. Effects of playing violent games? does it harm playing violent games.
No. A sane person who can tell the difference between fiction and reality should be fine. If someone is mentally unstable to begin with, then yes, the game can/may exacerbate the symptoms. BUT - political figures, movies, music and books can also have the same effect, yet unfortunately, games seem to be the popular scapegoat at the moment.

John Hinkley attempted to assassinate Ronald Reagan because he was obsessed with Jodie Foster.

Numerous serial killers were not driven to kill based on video games. Many of them came from broken homes. Many were abused, molested and treated horribly at a young age by family, friends, neighbors or even other predators. Some were inspired to kill by books, film, and hate. Albert Fish was a bible fanatic and a sadist. Ted Bundy looked like your average clean-shaven man, but he was abused and molested by his father. Charles Manson was obsessed with The Beatles and his own twisted interpretations of biblical passages. Did any of these men play video games? No. They were already mentally disturbed to begin with. Since they went undiagnosed, their humanity and mental capacities diminished as time went on.

4. Are games different to films/TV and Music.
Yes and no. They are alike because they are all forms of entertainment, but the difference is that they are all different forms of entertainment. A movie is 'set in stone'. You watch it and that's the end of it. What you see is what you get. Television and film could be considered similar, but at the same time, they differ. Television contains more than a two hour film. Music is different because of the genres. You can combine genres, stick to one. Games differ, because they're from a different perspective. Games aren't so linear anymore. You don't always have to immediately go from point A to point B. If a game is based on a movie, you could be a different character and have a different point of view. Or a movie could be based on a game and take a different direction. The possibilities are pretty much limitless, if done correctly.

Offline Miss Ordered

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:14:24 AM »

Of course.  Humans are natural voyeurs.  A voyeur can be defined as a person who actively searches for controversial topics.  This can be proven seeing that people actually pay to see Saw (insert number here)/Hostel in theaters.  Also, there are websites for posting gruesome images of death, possessing leaked crime scene photos, supporting pedophilia, and even hosting videos of teenagers fighting.  Most of them are based in America, where a good amount of controversial media is produced.  (Actually, this also relates to the plot for a well-known and controversial video game, Manhunt.  The main character is literally the hero in a snuff film.)

2. Are the current censorship rules and laws tough enough?

I can guess so.  Not to long ago, everyone was making a big deal over Grand Theft Auto: TLatD simply because they were the first to show full-frontal male nudity in a mainstream video game.  And yet, there are indeed movies that show child killing, violent rape, and plain torture scenes.

3. Effects of playing violent games?  Does it harm playing violent games?

I think it's all based on maturity and one's mental state.  It can harm if very young kids play violent videogames.  I've seen five to seven year olds play loads of M-rated games that their parents let them have, and they're more aggressive (ready to hit each other) and swear like sailors.  

But that's the problem.  It's not the games' fault, it's the parents.  They let their very young kids play those games.

However, I've also seen loads of high schoolers play M-rated games, but they're apparently not bent on imitating them anytime soon.  I agree with Chrissy.  A game does not make people kill someone else.  It's not like there's a scene in a game saying, "Hey kids!  Pull out your guns and let's have a murder party!  Yaaaay!  We totally support shooting everyone around you to death."  

4. Are games different to films/TV and music?

Of course.  Video games get people involved with the action that is happening on screen.  Video games can also be highly addictive, and there have been reports of people dying while playing video games for too long.  (There was also a case about a teenager who shot and killed his own parents because they took away his XBox, although I believe his problem was mostly pre-existing anger issues.)  However, people have died watching TV also, amongst other stupid and preventable ways to die.