News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Hex Editing Properly?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Hopking

• View Profile
Hex Editing Properly?
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
Alright, I know there are millions of threads and videos explaining how to hex edit, I know, but, the one question that i've been dying to ask, for ages, how do I change someones fighting style when their fighting style is longer and has more characters than the current one?

e.g. Changing Punch1 to Punch, which is shorter, how would I do that without making the file size bigger/smaller and crashing the game?

Offline UltimateGamer1

• BullyLeecher
    • View Profile
Re: Hex Editing Properly?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »
Dont rip your hair out lol. When characters are longer or shorter in hex editor the game doesn't read the full style example /Global/B_Striker_A....Act to /Global/Boss_Russell...Act when I change them the characters for Boss_Russell override the old style but rewrites over some characters. Now to fix this we must reduce size of their stats then it should make a perfect fix ^_^. Example - .STAT_BOSS_RUSSELL_A...F_Bully.B_Striker...Russell.Russell_Pbomb. Switch this to STAT_G_Melee_A...F_Bully.B_Striker.Straf_Wrest. Or you can change some of the bottom  stats like Stra_Wrest. to Straf_Fat. or whatever. I am on a phone so sorry if my explination isn't the best later tonight I will explain more.

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
simply put...just swap the styles around.

Find another person with the style you want...and exchange that style with the one you currently have. This works becasue it does not change the size of the file by adding to it or removing from it. That is the big problem with hex editing because its so limited in what you can actually do with certain files.

If you can manage to find the file's size encoding in the file and figure out how to change it to reflect the size it will be after you edit it...then theoretically you will be able to edit the file any way you want.

I am posting later tonight a mod and instructions on how to override fighting styles for jimmy without messing with hex editing. Just simply by using a custom lua script in place of the arcade machine in the boys dorm. Everything is easier to read and you can use almost any fighting style this way....and the best part is....you can turn it on or off and run the script anytime...regardless what part in the game you are in.

There are a couple minor bugs with the script that I will work on and attempt to fix....but it is time for me to release the very first custom lua script with a tutorial on how to edit it and compile it so bully can use it.

Keep on the lookout and later today I will post this and explain just how to do this.

Offline Hopking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »
Still no success unfortunately :/

I copy and paste Hal's style to Gord and Gord's style to Hal, and it still crashes. I really don't understand why, it is the same size and nothing has been mis-aligned, as far as I know, anything I may have missed?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it, cheers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:10:05 PM by Hopking »

Offline UltimateGamer1

• BullyLeecher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
@Madman my way is simple for newbies. I'll post also a video just change the stat and bottom stat sizes it will fit properly with anyone stats. Writing is hard to follow visaul is the best way to go. Allot of people on youtube don't understand from writing explinations because they don't view what your doing. I will try and do some writing/Visual tut's for many so they can see what where doing.

Offline UltimateGamer1

• BullyLeecher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »
Here is an explanation  and video on how to swap styles with other characters. Bully SE : Tutorials - How to switch style for AI characters