News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Just beat the game after waiting 6 years  (Read 3312 times)

Offline alt08

• View Profile
Just beat the game after waiting 6 years
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:57:31 AM »
I remember watching my step-brother playing this back when it first came out.  He'd never let me play, and eventually I forgot about it.  When I bought a PS3 a few years later I was bummed to find my model didn't support backwards compatibility.  Finally this year I've transferred to PC gaming, and bought Bully in a steam sale last month.  Playing a game you've been meaning to get to for over 6 years is an awesome feeling.  So, because it meant so much to me, I figured I share some thoughts with veteran fans on here.

The game is a lot more expansive than I remembered!  I love the town and all of the class mini games were great - although English and Math were a real pain.  Lots of the dialogue was really amusing.  Even though he wasn't in it enough, Gary was probably my favourite character along with Jimmy and Lola.  The scenery changes for Halloween and Christmas were awesome touches, too.

My only two complaints are that it was too short, and that and the ending was a bit rushed.  Even within the chapters that dealt with a single clique, I only ever managed to learn one or two members' names - I would've loved extra missions that dealt with personal issues for all sorts of people around school.  As for the ending, that goes for Jimmy's expulsion and the boss fight.  I didn't really understand the reasoning behind his expulsion, and it seemed so lame considering how much crap he had gotten away with all year.  The Gary fight's set-up was definitely not as unique or memorable as the other boss fights.  And the epilogue was so rushed - I really wanted to see the results of Jimmy's actions and the fate of the main characters.

But those complaints are me being picky about a game I ultimately really loved.  I think I'll be going for 100% completion (not looking forward to the nerd challenge, lol..) and will probably replay one day.  Maybe once Bully 2 is announced, eh?  ;)  I'd also like to say that it amazes me there's still a fanbase around for Bully.  Proves how fun and engaging this title was for so many different people!

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
Re: Just beat the game after waiting 6 years
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:10:19 AM »
I've only got one thing to say - Stay away from ChuckX

Hey, man! Wonderful story, I sort of understand that feel that you felt, as I myself have been THROUGH that feel before. A lot of feels, is all I can say. I bought the game when I was around 10 years old or something, back on the PS2, years after I started browsing around and found out about modding. And I got it on the PC. Which then lead to me joining BB. I must say, it's a good feel to feel.   :ajajaxh5:

Hope you stick around with us! Be sure to check out the modding section to really utilise what you can do to advance your Bully experience. :D

Offline DaBOSS54320

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 03:35:31 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the game. BTW PS3 now has it as a PS2 classic, NOT Scholarship Edition though just the original. Not TOO big a difference though honestly. Get involved with the modding community, after beating the game regularly the best thing to do is mod! Don't you just want to be Russell and beat the shit out of everyone? Easy with modding my friend.

With what you said about the ending being rushed, I personally loved the ending and maybe more then a lot of other games. Felt great, and actually I heard you killed Gary originally but they took it out of the game. Never read much on that though.

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:46:51 AM »
Bully has many plot-holes and was overall quite rushed, but it still remains a classic to me. However, Bully, in my opinion was somewhat of an experiment with the whole 'School' genre thing, and I have no doubt that Bully 2 will greatly surpass its predecessor.

Offline SWEGTA

• Da Forum Luffs Me!
  • Swee Gee Tee Ayy
    • View Profile
    • Bully & GTA videos
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »
I gotta say... Bully was a true classic to the PS2 and any other platform that it was on.
The storyline was a bit rushed, but it was very creative and each individual mission just felt like a big surprise everytime you wanted to stop messing around and work on completing the game.

As DaBOSS said, you should mod. The possibilities are endless!
Or if you're not into making your own mods, download others and mess around.  8)

Offline Bigfoot

• Public alias - Gunbladelad
  • I can't afford a razor...
    • View Profile
    • Freelancer : Mostly Harmless Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:05:48 AM »
The school genre has been done before, Evolution - do a little websearch for "Skool daze" and "Back to skool" and you'll find them quickly enough.

Having said that - like the 2 games I just mentioned, Bully is indeed a true classic, worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as those 2 8-bit classics from the days of the Spectrum.

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:13 AM »
The school genre has been done before, Evolution - do a little websearch for "Skool daze" and "Back to skool" and you'll find them quickly enough.

I never implied that the school genre had NEVER been done before, I was just simply stating that R* wanted to experiment with it.  :ajajaxh5:

Offline Bigfoot

• Public alias - Gunbladelad
  • I can't afford a razor...
    • View Profile
    • Freelancer : Mostly Harmless Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »
True - having said that, the school-based genre is very much an unknown apart from those 3 games...

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
We got a story about what happened after.  Sorta.

Offline alt08

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
Ive already tried modding a bit!  Attempted to get Gary, Petey, and the clique leaders to spawn in free roam but ended up spawning seven Derby clones outside Harrington House lol :confused:

I can see why Bully is such a cult-favourite.  So much memorable dialogue and the missions are consistently fun.  They put a lot of love into this game. Theres a lot of the map I haven't even been to yet!

Where? I'd love to read/see it.  The vanilla ending is very weak.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
It's right here........

http://www.bully-board.com/index.php?topic=10469.0

It is rather long (600+K words).  The story starts the September after, with some new characters and a lotta old ones also.  It began as a cooperative effort, but soon dwindled down to just a couple-three of us, and then just me.  The first chapter or two is a bit disjointed (I've done re-writes which I will add later), but the story gets very deep and there is a lot of intrigue and mystery throughout.   

There is a new protagonist named Tony.  Jimmy is in jail for being an accomplice to the murder of  Edgar over the summer at the beginning of the story.  Gary is gone, replaced by an even worse nut job named Jake.  Jimmy does make a regular appearance starting with Chapter 3, though.

I'll say no more, though.  If you like to read, you can find out. 

Offline DaBOSS54320

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
Ive already tried modding a bit!  Attempted to get Gary, Petey, and the clique leaders to spawn in free roam but ended up spawning seven Derby clones outside Harrington House lol :confused:

I can see why Bully is such a cult-favourite.  So much memorable dialogue and the missions are consistently fun.  They put a lot of love into this game. Theres a lot of the map I haven't even been to yet!

Where? I'd love to read/see it.  The vanilla ending is very weak.

Sounds like you modded ide.img, don't even mess with that. Jump straight to LUA. It's easier and better.
http://www.bully-board.com/index.php?topic=20502.0