News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: Canis Canem Edit - Ohhh!! Answers!  (Read 4213 times)

Offline djrussell

• View Profile
    • http://www.osirisgames.com
Canis Canem Edit - Ohhh!! Answers!
« on: September 10, 2006, 11:23:28 PM »
Well! We all wondered why the hell Rockstar changed the name from Bully to Canis Canem Edit in Europe right? We'll here's why!

After reading this months issue of Playstation2 Magazine and the write up in it (which, by the way I'll scan tonight for you guys to read) I found some great news that brings light to why Rockstar changed the name:

"Not many details have been released yet but at the time of going to print Rockstar was able to tell us that Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and Rockstar were unable to come to an agreement over Bully's release in Europe."...

"... we're left to assume that the disagreement between SCEE and Rockstar was over the only controversal thing - it being called "Bully". We'd guess that in an effort to appease the anti-videogame crowd SCEE asked Rockstar to change the name and Rockstar refused. At this point unless something changes, Bully will not be released in Europe."

Soooo.. obviously that is why there was a delay in the release date for Europe. Since Rockstar have recently agreed to change the name from "Bully" to "Canis Canem Edit" in Europe - SCEE have approved it and given the date of October 27th.

Makes sense right? Rockstar didnt want to - but if it was either standing their ground and keeping the name and not having the game come out at all - or changing the name and having it released in Europe - then no wonder they chose to re-name it.

I'll post the full article tonight anyway.

Cheers

Offline maniac*4321

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:55:59 PM »
That explains a lot. Good find. :)

Offline DGAF

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Bully-Board.com
Re: Canis Canem Edit - Ohhh!! Answers!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 06:28:20 AM »
Excellent find mate, never would have thought it was SCEE getting involved, does anyone know if they have got involved over something like this before? And also, if this was still of been gettin released for the Xbox, would it be called Bully on that and Canis Canem Edit on the Playstation. Thats a strange one.
Quote from: djrussell

After reading this months issue of Playstation2 Magazine and the write up in it (which, by the way I'll scan tonight for you guys to read) I found

Much appreciated mate, thanks.  :wink:

Offline Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 08:21:44 AM »
In the US, where people kill each other and blame video games, nobody cares about the games name and will probably remain Bully.

In Europe where people are civilized enough and don't kill each other for no reason, they go and change Bully's name.

:(  :(  :(  :(

But if Bully's name change is the only way Europe can have the game, i don't care about the game's fucking name.

Offline Znib

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:10 AM »
I was thinkin that R* should have said screw sony :!:  and then said this to them

"microsoft would allow Bully to be called that on the X-box, so unless you change your mind we will make it a X-box exclusive"

They should have said that but then I reliasied that the X-box was dead and converting the game to next Gen would cost too much.......R* had to do it or use The GTA4 card :wink:

Offline manbearpig22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:12:43 PM »
Yeah, I think it was the right move. They shouldn't have called it Bully in the first place because that's extremely bad marketing. If you made a game like Grand Theft Auto and came under fire for it, then releasing a game called 'Bully' with so many problems in schools right now (Columbine Tragedy, Real Bullying, etc.) is just not a good move. However, intelligent people don't base the game on its title and look into it more.

In short...

Changing the name was the right choice for Europe.

Offline Bully3721

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 09:37:36 PM »
That, or they just want to make more money so they changed the name. :D

Offline djrussell

• View Profile
    • http://www.osirisgames.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 05:32:36 AM »
Highly unlikely.. the name "Bully" would have made a difference to sales - cause whos gonna look twice at a game called "Canis Canem Edit"? - No one knows what it means (except for people that have been told) and they'll just move on.

Offline Gaunty

• 'The White Mr T'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 02:11:04 PM »
Quote from: Znib;8361
I was thinkin that R* should have said screw sony :!:  and then said this to them

"microsoft would allow Bully to be called that on the X-box, so unless you change your mind we will make it a X-box exclusive"

They should have said that but then I reliasied that the X-box was dead and converting the game to next Gen would cost too much.......R* had to do it or use The GTA4 card :wink:

Microsoft had refused to release Bully for Xbox before R* offered it to Sony.

Offline Menace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 12:34:20 AM »
Quote from: djrussell;8437
Highly unlikely.. the name "Bully" would have made a difference to sales - cause whos gonna look twice at a game called "Canis Canem Edit"? - No one knows what it means (except for people that have been told) and they'll just move on.
It sounds a whole lot more creative than Bully, and it doesn't give us the impression that Jimmy is a bully when playing it. Before I was even bothered with this game I saw Canis Canem Edit on a shelf and picked it up because I was intrigued by it, R* are renowned for being different from the pack and the title shouldn't have to fall to a norm. Not that I'm complaining since my copy's CCE, but it should've been the title from the start, it's just cooler.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:45:05 AM by Menace »