News: Welcome back to Bullworth! If you haven't already, you will need to reset your password..

Author Topic: News update  (Read 9782 times)

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Define "Life" For Me Again...
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
Re: News update
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 09:07:16 AM »
Look, if Bully 2 is ever confirmed and / or released, it will be 'Site News', you can bet you ass on that.

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
I get that it would be news for the site, but what I meant was that "Site News" is pretty much suggesting that the only news displayed on Bully-Board will be activities or information LIMITED to only the site, not OUTSIDE of it.

Offline KING DP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »
How about no news

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
The overwhelming preponderance of what is to be posted there (99%) WILL be site news, so it only makes sense to title it that.  Logic.   

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »
@ Chuck and everyone else...

Here is what I suggest as this is the most logical thing to try...

How about starting on the first of the new year we select one news worthy topic from each of the main and active sections of the forum and have that added to teh news listing and basicly swap out old news with new news say....once a week or so.

This will keep things in that fresh since that is the part of the forum that most people see the first before they scroll down to see everything else.

The thing that would be a great thing would be to have a automated news letter that people could choose to be part of or not that would auto email the news headlines for BB to members signed up for it and that would actually help a lot with more activity on the forum as well as spread the word around about the latest happenings in all the forum sections.

This way each major section of the forum gets its "screen time" and it all would be done equally and no single section would be say...given unfair attention like say...the modding section getting most of the news while the general section gets barely a mention...etc and this way it would better promote activity in general on the forum and help make new members more aware of the other areas and what discussions take place there.

Just a hint since I used a news letter system on my clan forum and it was a big success and allowed us to grow not only fast but it kept everyone informed on teh latest happenings on each corner of the board.

Offline c00ld0c26

• The D0c
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Just a dood doing dood things.
    • View Profile
    • My channel.
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 12:37:47 AM »
I get that it would be news for the site, but what I meant was that "Site News" is pretty much suggesting that the only news displayed on Bully-Board will be activities or information LIMITED to only the site, not OUTSIDE of it.

Alexo stfu puny 17 years old.
Chuck is right.

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 01:28:40 AM »

Chuck is right.

Negroid please 8)

Offline c00ld0c26

• The D0c
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Just a dood doing dood things.
    • View Profile
    • My channel.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »

Chuck is right.

Negroid please 8)

Bitch please :P

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
How about starting on the first of the new year we select one news worthy topic from each of the main and active sections of the forum and have that added to the news listing and basically swap out old news with new news say....once a week or so.

I'd say, rotate stuff (like I suggested on the last page) once a day.  New things could be added, or old taken off, at any time.  Stay with just one item on display, that way it is different each day in rotation.  I don't know what the current rotation is, but assume it could be set to rotate each day.

The thing that would be a great thing would be to have a automated news letter that people could choose to be part of or not that would auto email the news headlines for BB to members signed up for it and that would actually help a lot with more activity on the forum as well as spread the word around about the latest happenings in all the forum sections.

We formerly on the old board had a "Newsbot" that funneled in gaming news.  It was a read-only section all by itself....But this is something different ?

This way each major section of the forum gets its "screen time" and it all would be done equally and no single section would be say...given unfair attention like say...the modding section getting most of the news while the general section gets barely a mention...etc and this way it would better promote activity in general on the forum and help make new members more aware of the other areas and what discussions take place there.

I don't feel a place like the Modding Section would get 'Unfair' attention, a good part of the board activity lies there.  About half this board doesn't warrant any "news" activity, they are there (or came to be there) solely because they were requested at one time or another (like Movies, TV, Music, Harry Potter, etc) by members at the time.  They are just basically places, like the General and Games Forums, for members to post stuff in, outside of Bully-related content.

Just a hint since I used a news letter system on my clan forum and it was a big success and allowed us to grow not only fast but it kept everyone informed on the latest happenings on each corner of the board.

I would have to see such a thing, or a demo of it somewhere, to understand your concept fully.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:56:31 PM by BloodChuckZ »

Offline MadmaN

• Bully-Board Admin Team
  • Biblio-Techa Mods (retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
Well....I can link you to a old copy of my clan forums if you want to see what that system basicly was...complete with full admin rights so you can explore all of the settings my forum had.

Keep in mind though....the forum system I used primarily was phpbb and NOT smf like BB uses and I used a complete custom setup that took quite a long time to create. Also used custom security as well.

Offline BloodChuckZ

• Bullworth God
  • Original Member
  • Are You Insane ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »
Your old clan forums are inactive now, I take it ?  I would like at least a look-see at it.

But before we get too involved, I'd like to just fix the heading "News" here first, by rotating the site news, and see how that works out.  I don't have the access to do it.  Plus, if anything new were to be put in rotation there, an Admin would have to do that anyway, so that would have to be PMed to you.  I think I had 10 likely things back on the last page we could try out, on a 1-day rotation, 1-item a day, that would last 10 days and only repeat 3 times a month.  All the other stuff on there now is nonsense, and the only 'News' items are 3 years old.  I'm not looking to add to anything there, it should just be wiped and started over. 

Offline Mick3Mouse

• Obam3mouse
  • Bullworth Junkie
  • Major Mick3Mouse Algie Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 06:38:27 AM »
News: You want news? Here's news. There's nothing to see here.

Who changed the news?  :P

Offline KING DP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 03:09:39 AM »
How about showing rules instead of news

Offline Mick3Mouse

• Obam3mouse
  • Bullworth Junkie
  • Major Mick3Mouse Algie Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 04:48:21 AM »

how about you get off this topic DP, we are talking about having news here. 

You just saying that for the posts, you postcunt.

Go to forums games where you belong. 

jk.

Offline Evolution

• Elitist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 11:36:35 PM »

how about you get off this topic DP, we are talking about having news here. 

You just saying that for the posts, you postcunt.

Go to forums games where you belong. 

jk.